Squad Support Truck

The Hazmat HMTU rig that SQ8 has now is a 2018 that was suppose to go to R5 because they where a HMTU. E165 has the 2015 HMTU rig they always had in the cage

Question. When Engine 165 gave their rescue pumper and haz mat rig to Squad 8, did they get a different haz mat rig in its place? Or are they no longer part of haz mat?
They were the only hazmat engine to have a rescue style engine.

When’s squad 8 receive that HMTU unit as their second piece, I thought that they finally got it right. they just look better together going down the road, they look like a unit. I’m not a big fan of the international freightliner style second pieces that the squads currently have or that current style chassis. It’s too bad that they did not give the squads something better looking unless the squads like that and that’s what they prefer but then why didn’t they do that for the Hazmat Engines. Seems like they should be reversed. I don’t know.

Bulldog

Bulldog
When’s squad 8 receive that HMTU unit as their second piece, I thought that they finally got it right. they just look better together going down the road, they look like a unit. I’m not a big fan of the international freightliner style second pieces that the squads currently have or that current style chassis. It’s too bad that they did not give the squads something better looking unless the squads like that and that’s what they prefer but then why didn’t they do that for the Hazmat Engines. Seems like they should be reversed. I don’t know.
What difference does what the trucks look like make? As long as they are able to carry the required equipment and get to the scene safely and quickly who cares what they look like? Besides, looks is in the eyes of the beholder and not everyone thinks the same thing looks good.

Then why not give the HMTU Hazmat engines the same thing then it was just my opinion don’t get all fired up

What's the difference in the equipment carried in an HMTU to a squad second piece?
The squad second piece carries more technical rescue/collapse equipment. I believe usually one side of the rig is dedicated to HAZMAT (Drums, Leak kits, fittings, absorbents, spill-kits, non-sparking tools, brooms, etc.) and the other side of the rig carries tech rescue equipment (Inflatable zodiac with motor, bandsaws, hole hawg, generator, I believe an air compressor as-well). Although I've never seen inside the HMTU, I would assume it carries more HAZMAT less tech rescue equipment.

The squad second piece carries more technical rescue/collapse equipment. I believe usually one side of the rig is dedicated to HAZMAT (Drums, Leak kits, fittings, absorbents, spill-kits, non-sparking tools, brooms, etc.) and the other side of the rig carries tech rescue equipment (Inflatable zodiac with motor, bandsaws, hole hawg, generator, I believe an air compressor as-well). Although I've never seen inside the HMTU, I would assume it carries more HAZMAT less tech rescue equipment.
Hey thanks for the reply on that I was interested in knowing what they carry as well and I figured that the squad support truck would need to be bigger than the HMTU truck but I don’t know how much Hazmat gear is required from a Hazmat engine even though they’re not the main Hazmat unit they’re more of a support unit but it’s still interesting to know what they’re required to carry.
I just figured that a squad would have a bigger truck just because they got basically double the equipment thanks again

on a sidenote I’m not surprised that the rescue companies do not have a second piece as well I always thought that The TSU’s should be the second piece instead of only 2 citywide they should have one for each rescue company. just my opinion.

Hey thanks for the reply on that I was interested in knowing what they carry as well and I figured that the squad support truck would need to be bigger than the HMTU truck but I don’t know how much Hazmat gear is required from a Hazmat engine even though they’re not the main Hazmat unit they’re more of a support unit but it’s still interesting to know what they’re required to carry.
I just figured that a squad would have a bigger truck just because they got basically double the equipment thanks again

on a sidenote I’m not surprised that the rescue companies do not have a second piece as well I always thought that The TSU’s should be the second piece instead of only 2 citywide they should have one for each rescue company. just my opinion.
The Rescues de facto have the Collapse Rescues.

The TSUs are the 2nd piece to the rescue.

I did forget about the collapse Riggs, that is true the TSU’s‘s are mostly used by the rescue companies but if they had their own unit dedicated to them.

I did forget about the collapse Riggs, that is true the TSU’s‘s are mostly used by the rescue companies but if they had their own unit dedicated to them.
Well there is not numerous technical rescues going on at once. The FF that’s on TSU assists the rescues so

The HMTU don’t carry any tec rescue equipment….it’s not a part of their job responsibilities , strictly Haz mat. The eight squad companies are trained and equipped to do both. Like already mentioned basically one side of the rig is set up for Haz mat , the other side for tec rescue. The hazmat tec engine along with their HMTU are assigned to the HazMat ops. The squads fall under Rescue ops. Rescue Ops , Haz mat ops and Mariene ops fall under the umbrella of SOC . All members of the Rescue & Squad companies are train to the Haz Mat technician level. All the Rescues carry hazmat meters ,level A & B suits …but their only responsibilities would be for victim removal at large scale incidents… no Haz mat mediation ,containment or removal responsibilities . The squads do both. It’s all about back up and redundancies

The collapse rigs ARE the second piece to the Rescues. There’s basically nothing on the TAC‘s that the Rescues and their associated collapse rigs don’t already have. Once again …it’s all about back up and redundancies

Last edited: