Question On A Photo

Thanks to Brad for putting this photo up....it is from Herb Eysser who is trying to get info on it.....what we already know is the structure looks like a small Church or an early FH as the right side of the bldg could be a Steeple enclosure on a Church or a FH or Church Bell Tower.....the sign or lettering seems to have "Church" in it & the FF in the lower left has a partial Company number of 16? plus a partial Badge number.

Bulldog

Bulldog
I certainly believe it's a church because it was a FH the large door should be below the sign on the front of the building. That everything that I door large enough for apparatus. Do we even know what city it's from?

You are right about the door size (when the photo was taken) not being large enough for an FD Rig.....there is no info at all accompanying the photo....I would say though that the partial shot of the FFs Helmet Front w/ Badge number could certainly be FDNY ?

There is lettering over the door. Tried enhancing to see what it says but still blurry. Though pretty sure the last word is "Church"

The second last word might be " APOSTOLlC " ?

Definitely a church / Cross above the lettering above the door. 16x could also be a S l engine company?

Last edited:
Maybes:

A multiple alarm church fire
Church probably not a Catholic, Episcopal, Lutheran church (lengthy lettering)
Firefighter helmet FDNY or similar to FDNY
Probably a truck company member (background of unit number "16X" is lighter color (e.g. red) than rest of front (black color)
FF company is "16X" - maybe a Bklyn or Queens truck company
Power line ends in front of church - maybe church on driveway
No parking sign in front of church
Doesn't look like water on fire yet.
No apparent ladder or tower ladder extended or operating.
Looks like this fire might have been in advanced stage before arrival of fire companies.

I am not sure if it is a "no parking sign". It almost seems like a street fire hydrant sign.

Coulkd be maybe this one?
Saint Sarkis Armenian Apostolic Church
A fire destroyed the original church in 1985
"
Tragedy

On the night of May 21, 1985, the bell tower of St. Sarkis Church was hit by lightning and the resulting fire destroyed the church. The parish left without a House of Worship was devastated by the tragedy. Soon afterwards, however, St. Sarkis Parish feverishly began the road to recovery and healing. For the next five years, St. Sarkis Church held services at All Saints Episcopal Church, 214-33 40th Avenue, Bayside. "

Can't find more, bnut the b/w pic from the old church, looks like the one from the posted pic....

"
Tragedy

On the night of May 21, 1985, the bell tower of St. Sarkis Church was hit by lightning and the resulting fire destroyed the church. The parish left without a House of Worship was devastated by the tragedy. Soon afterwards, however, St. Sarkis Parish feverishly began the road to recovery and healing. For the next five years, St. Sarkis Church held services at All Saints Episcopal Church, 214-33 40th Avenue, Bayside. "

Can't find more, bnut the b/w pic from the old church, looks like the one from the posted pic....
No question / doubts, you got it. Looks like the doorway and outermost entrance was changed a little and vinyl siding was added, but everything else matches, the building, dormers, windows, the sign, the pole, the wires. Good work.

Last edited:
"
Tragedy

Presumably the member would be from L*164

The Armenian Church was my first thought as LAD*167 .....160 & 164 all responded.....it very well may be.....I only hesitated as the amount of Fire in the photo seemed a lot more than I remembered on the street side that night all though there was heavy Fire & brands & pieces of shingles were getting blown over the exposure bldg & onto Bell Blvd ( I lived in the neighborhood back then )......the bldg was a very short block in from Bell & was on the corner of 42 Ave & 213 St across from the Bayside Post Office .....a fairly large condo was built on the site shortly after the Fire & remains today....

Last edited:
Early on l did search " Apostolic Churches NYC " but all the names looked shorter than what appears to be two lines of writing above the door so if any name looked too short l dismissed it.

mack

Administrator
Could be maybe this one?
"
Tragedy

Can't find more, but the b/w pic from the old church, looks like the one from the posted pic....
Nice job identifying church.

My guess is that the Church Fire is in Staten Island, due to the partial company number on the style of the church building construction. One thing for sure it is an old church. I have written articles on church fires, so I hope I am right. Capt. Bob Rainey FDNY E-26 retired.