Water on the fire time stamp

When Battalions or Divisions give the report that they have “water on the fire”; is this information time stamped at the communications office and later published somewhere by the FDNY? I happen to believe that it is an important data point and feel it is becoming more widely used in the fire service in general (at least I hope so).

The "water on the Fire" thing is not really valid info. & is not time stamped or kept a record of.....as a BC I never included it in my reports over the air......unless something has changed more recently this was not from the Job itself it was something recommended by the UFA many years ago & is often still used but I see it as a misnomer......what water ? ....is it a can shooting in a doorway ? ....a line being directed down a cellar stair hitting what ?......is it the actual knockdown of the main body ?......it can be a very misleading statement to operating & or still responding Units.

It may be useful in cases where there are water problems like dead,distant or frozen hydrants.

The UFA was using it as a deterrent to closing companies, at the time over 20 companies were on the chopping block the city said our response times wouldn’t be affected. I think water on the fire is a great tool for the union, it shows what removing let’s say a doorman position actually does to a unit, just because a unit is 10-84 doesn’t mean anything productive like water on the fire has started, and we all know water on the fire solves almost all of the problems. 😉

^^^ Yes the UFA came up with it but I still think it is too ambiguous of a statement to actually hold water (no pun intended) with the bean counters ....too many variables as to what water ? ...how much ? & where ?. .......any serious water delays due to dead or frozen Hydrants should be on the record with a 10-70......there was also a "Reflex Time" brought up by the Union that was supposed to indicate (for one example) lets say .....a Unit gives a 10-84 when arriving at street level of a Hi Rise but then has to trek up multiple floors (elevator or not )to reach the Fire Floor & get hooked (on the floor below) then actually be in position to put "water on the Fire"......this was a good idea but no provision was ever implemented to make it function as a true "Reflex Time" ..... that issue would basically deal with more lengthy situations than a basic response.

Bulldog

Bulldog
It may be useful in cases where there are water problems like dead,distant or frozen hydrants.
The time for water under fire should be affected by anything you mentioned except in very rare circumstances. The 1st water on the fire come from the tank water on the 1st due engine company so hydrant availability shouldn't be affected in any way.
The UFA was using it as a deterrent to closing companies, at the time over 20 companies were on the chopping block the city said our response times wouldn’t be affected. I think water on the fire is a great tool for the union, it shows what removing let’s say a doorman position actually does to a unit, just because a unit is 10-84 doesn’t mean anything productive like water on the fire has started, and we all know water on the fire solves almost all of the problems. 😉
Like 68JK09 said previously it's very ambiguous, you don't need a doorman etc. if a trash fire in the street, what about when the can man from a truck company discharges his can, if at 1st water on the fire? It's such an ambiguous thing you have absolutely no meaning as far as how effective companies are at arriving and fighting a fire.