FDNY Alerts Tweets

I’ve noticed on the FDNY Alerts Twitter account they’ve started to write ‘A’ fire when they post. For example, their most recent tweet is: “3065 Sedgwick Avenue Multiple Dwelling ‘A’ fire, 3 floor.” In every tweet reporting a fire they put ‘A’ fire now which is new. I think I’ve even seen ‘B’ fire too. Anyone know what’s up with that?

Class "A" MD is a residential building that is built to suit 3 or more families to live permanently in. So most of your typical multiple dwelling apartment buildings are class "A"
Class "B" MD is a building that is occupied transiently, this can include hotels, rooming houses, college dormitories - anywhere where people are essentially lodging in a multiple dwelling. Moreover, dwellings designed as private dwellings but occupied by one or two families with five or more transient boarders are also considered class B MDs. i.e. a converted brownstone.

While we are on the topic of FDNY Alerts Twitter, has anyone heard if the Job plans to do anything with the SMS delivery of the Alerts? Twitter did away with their texting/SMS delivery. Was hoping FDNY would do something similar to the NYC 311(?) app that sends text message info.

Class "A" MD is a residential building that is built to suit 3 or more families to live permanently in. So most of your typical multiple dwelling apartment buildings are class "A"
Class "B" MD is a building that is occupied transiently, this can include hotels, rooming houses, college dormitories - anywhere where people are essentially lodging in a multiple dwelling. Moreover, dwellings designed as private dwellings but occupied by one or two families with five or more transient boarders are also considered class B MDs. i.e. a converted brownstone.
Thanks. Interesting they started putting that in the tweets.

Circling back around on this thread. With Twitter being in kind of a “tizzy”, has anyone heard if the Job plans to put FDNY ALERTS on another platform?

I’ve noticed on the FDNY Alerts Twitter account they’ve started to write ‘A’ fire when they post. For example, their most recent tweet is: “3065 Sedgwick Avenue Multiple Dwelling ‘A’ fire, 3 floor.” In every tweet reporting a fire they put ‘A’ fire now which is new. I think I’ve even seen ‘B’ fire too. Anyone know what’s up with that?
Wings in an H type apartment building. A wing versus B wings. Some have even more wings. Take an aerial view of 2685 university Ave in the Bronx. Multiple wings. Not to be confused with A line or F line etc of apartments. Where typically apartments 2F, 3F, 4F 5F etc are stacked on top of each other. So it is sometimes described “ we have fire extending up the G line possibly into the clock loft.”

Last edited:

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
FDNY Alerts also began adding the box number to the alert in the last year or so. They’ve definitely ramped up the info they put into the alerts. It used to just be something like: FDNYAlerts BX 5-Alarm 316 E 194 St, Commercial Fire 1st floor.A0992056-0AB7-4B6A-AD0A-FBDAAD3149F8.jpeg

Additionally - rather than abbreviating the boroughs like BX or MAN, they’ve been using the full name.

Last edited:
The “A” and “B” are on the teleprinter as well. It would look like. E=MULTIPLE DWELLING A, followed by whatever the dispatcher writes, such as FIRE APT 1A. Or alternatively,
F=MULTIPLE DWELLING B ..