L111 act. L107F

B39: car fire with some extension to siding of house, AVFKD

B39 gave All Hands, all units not on scene can go 10-8

D13: UC

E317 act. E308
L162 act. L142

Last edited:

RCL

2nd fire of the day for the 39, 225 and 142. Wonder what happened to 107, which missed 2 fires and had a relocator for while.

Also, every hydrant in WHB is a dead end hydrant. Which is always fun to deal with.

What is the unit designation the WHB vols use on the radio? They were transmitting on the Queens borough frequency, correct?

RCL

Yes, the volunteers use the radio frequency of the Boro their in. When I was there they were using the Dept name. So it would be West Hamilton Beach (or insert volunteer dept to that boro) to Queens. The only other real difference is they don't or didnt use 10 codes so there was no mistakes. In this case the radio conversation would be West Hamilton Beach to Queens, we had a walk up for a car fire with possible extention at xxxxxxxx. Once on scene it would be WHB to Queens, we have a car fire with extension to a residential structure at your location or give the location. At that point the 39, or 331 would usually 10-75 the box by the vollies even if not onscene yet.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
Yes, the volunteers use the radio frequency of the Boro their in. When I was there they were using the Dept name. So it would be West Hamilton Beach (or insert volunteer dept to that boro) to Queens. The only other real difference is they don't or didnt use 10 codes so there was no mistakes. In this case the radio conversation would be West Hamilton Beach to Queens, we had a walk up for a car fire with possible extention at xxxxxxxx. Once on scene it would be WHB to Queens, we have a car fire with extension to a residential structure at your location or give the location. At that point the 39, or 331 would usually 10-75 the box by the vollies even if not onscene yet.
Interesting to note that the vollies had no rigs on scene and were fighting the fire with a garden hose. Wonder if the rigs were damaged by flooding or OOS for another reason?

RCL

They did have rigs onscene. From what I understand, the ambulance was out in the neighborhood pumping out basements, when they got the walkup for the car fire. The ambulance was parked about half a block up from the fire. Same side of the street Im guessing it was the ambulance crew that grabbed the garden hose trying to protect the structure best they could until the engine got there. The engine was at the top of the block securing a hydrant because it's all dead end mains in Hamilton. You can see both in the video I posted Everything from Russell Street south is a dead end main. Maybe 50 or so hydrants is my best guess from my recollection. It's happened I don't know how many times an engine was hooked into 1 hydrant, and another engine grabbed a higher hydrant and pulled most of the available water from the first.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
They did have rigs onscene. From what I understand, the ambulance was out in the neighborhood pumping out basements, when they got the walkup for the car fire. The ambulance was parked about half a block up from the fire. Same side of the street Im guessing it was the ambulance crew that grabbed the garden hose trying to protect the structure best they could until the engine got there. The engine was at the top of the block securing a hydrant because it's all dead end mains in Hamilton. You can see both in the video I posted Everything from Russell Street south is a dead end main. Maybe 50 or so hydrants is my best guess from my recollection. It's happened I don't know how many times an engine was hooked into 1 hydrant, and another engine grabbed a higher hydrant and pulled most of the available water from the first.
As per an Instagram post (below) it seems like their engine was indeed OOS. They did a great job working with what they had and knocking it down with the garden hose!

RCL

As per an Instagram post (below) it seems like their engine was indeed OOS. They did a great job working with what they had and knocking it down with the garden hose!

Thanks. I dont have instagram so never saw that post. Barely do Fb. Sometimes you just have to make due.
Wonder what happened to the engine. I was relatively certain that was 944(E1 when I was there or E4 as they are now calling it apparently) sitting at the top of the block behind the ambulance They have 2 (944 and 946 engine 6 apparently) that I know of possibly 1 or 2 more as a spare. Also 2 ambulances and at least a brush truck. They did have a heavy rescue for a while after Sandy but dont know what happened to it. They had several donations after Sandy and fairly recently acquired the yellow engine now called 946.