Big Box Store Tactics - great fireground footage

Great footage of an advanced fire in the lumber section of a Home Depot. So many teaching points and reinforcing points in this short video. Listening to the fireground radio traffic they are aggressively attacking this fire. Truck to the roof for a vent hole, interior 2.5” attack. Multiple lines, going to third alarm quickly. I have to assume, in fact I would bet heavily that this is a sprinklered building. More and more frequently we are seeing catastrophic fires in big box stores and large factories, etc that are sprinklered. Ceiling level sprinkler heads cannot get water onto burning materials on lower levels of rack storage. Add in heavy fire loads like wood, carpet, plastics and etc, the fire spreads horizontally via radiation of heat inter the wet top section of the high rack storage. In many places the fire code used to require sprinklers at varying height in the actual racks. Contractors, engineers and lobbyists made those go away in many jurisdictions. Getting back to this fire. Great visibility on the interior. Look at the air flow of the smoke. The wind is racing through the fire area and acting like a giant bellows contributing to phenomenal fire growth. The lumber fuel packages are producing tremendous radiant heat resulting in rapid lateral fire spread. The engine crews just simply cannot get enough water on this fire fast enough. Using the NFA fire flow formula , a 40 X 40 area requires 530 GPM - yes two 2.5” lines can do that - but you have to have access to the fire. You can see they only had partial access and the fire is beginning to wrap around to their right flank and overhead. They engine crew and officer appear to be aggressive yet very situationally aware of the surroundings 👍. This fire appears to be a loser from the time someone called 911. The great visibility allows for ladder companies to perform some rapid primary searches up and down the aisles. IC very aware that this was going to have to go defensive quickly but still dialogued with interior crews until they wisely pulled the trigger. 👍 A store full of insured merchandise is not worth a fireman’s career or life. My only personal observations: (my opinions - we all have them). Smooth bore nozzle instead of fog on 2.5” attack lines. And consider the rapid deployment (perhaps a bomb line ) of a 350-500 GPM portable master stream such as R.A.M or Blitzfire. Although I believe neither of these would have made a difference in this fire. Another good catch - nice job with the hose from the engine to the ladder pipe 👍 in tight situation. I share this with everyone because we just don’t get these types of fires in these types of occupancies often. Strip stores and taxpayers are not the same as big box stores. I invite all to comment, share ideas, observations, etc. it’s how we always improve. Stay safe

Great footage of an advanced fire in the lumber section of a Home Depot. So many teaching points and reinforcing points in this short video. Listening to the fireground radio traffic they are aggressively attacking this fire. Truck to the roof for a vent hole, interior 2.5” attack. Multiple lines, going to third alarm quickly. I have to assume, in fact I would bet heavily that this is a sprinklered building. More and more frequently we are seeing catastrophic fires in big box stores and large factories, etc that are sprinklered. Ceiling level sprinkler heads cannot get water onto burning materials on lower levels of rack storage. Add in heavy fire loads like wood, carpet, plastics and etc, the fire spreads horizontally via radiation of heat inter the wet top section of the high rack storage. In many places the fire code used to require sprinklers at varying height in the actual racks. Contractors, engineers and lobbyists made those go away in many jurisdictions. Getting back to this fire. Great visibility on the interior. Look at the air flow of the smoke. The wind is racing through the fire area and acting like a giant bellows contributing to phenomenal fire growth. The lumber fuel packages are producing tremendous radiant heat resulting in rapid lateral fire spread. The engine crews just simply cannot get enough water on this fire fast enough. Using the NFA fire flow formula , a 40 X 40 area requires 530 GPM - yes two 2.5” lines can do that - but you have to have access to the fire. You can see they only had partial access and the fire is beginning to wrap around to their right flank and overhead. They engine crew and officer appear to be aggressive yet very situationally aware of the surroundings 👍. This fire appears to be a loser from the time someone called 911. The great visibility allows for ladder companies to perform some rapid primary searches up and down the aisles. IC very aware that this was going to have to go defensive quickly but still dialogued with interior crews until they wisely pulled the trigger. 👍 A store full of insured merchandise is not worth a fireman’s career or life. My only personal observations: (my opinions - we all have them). Smooth bore nozzle instead of fog on 2.5” attack lines. And consider the rapid deployment (perhaps a bomb line ) of a 350-500 GPM portable master stream such as R.A.M or Blitzfire. Although I believe neither of these would have made a difference in this fire. Another good catch - nice job with the hose from the engine to the ladder pipe 👍 in tight situation. I share this with everyone because we just don’t get these types of fires in these types of occupancies often. Strip stores and taxpayers are not the same as big box stores. I invite all to comment, share ideas, observations, etc. it’s how we always improve. Stay safe

Great article well thought out and well done. I would add that, having had a few Big Box store fires in my 50 years of firefighting I would add or reinforce. Upon arrival one of the 1st. hoselines must go to the F.D.C. (In FDNY Siamese) to augment the water supply to the Sprinkler System and/or Standpipe system. The idea of transmitting multiple alarms quickly is very valid. You must consider "Reflex Time" (The time from when you ask for the help to when help actually arrives and is ready to start really operating at the fire.) Be proactive, don't play catch up call help before you need it, if in fact you don't need it, just say thank you and send them home. Help must include Ladder Companies and/or Rescue Companies to assist in Vent Entry, Search and Isolation of the Fire Area. If you don't know how to use a search "Guide Rope" Learn How. The Complex Layout in a Big Box Store can be very hard to search, if visibility is poor. The Search Guide Rope search is the answer. Even if the visibility is good when you enter stretch a "Search Guide Rope" so if the visibility get worse you already have a way to securely search and also exit rapidly if thing deteriorate.
The amount of synthetics in a Big Box Store can be very large and results in heavy fire loading and heavy smoke conditions. Become proficient in the use of Portable Large Caliber streams, you may need to use one or more in the interior o Big Box Store. FDNY High Rise Units caried a Wheeled Large Caliber Stream device for years. Captain Bob Rainey F.D.N.Y. Engine 26 Retired

Thanks Capt for the excellent tips and tactical considerations. Yes the search rope is extremely important in those conditions. Thanks for addressing the FDC augmentation as well. Happy New Year.

Kmart had a large distribution warehouse burn in PA in the very early 80’s. It was a situation where the system wasn’t designed for the rack storage but another factor was they didn’t augment the system through the FDC.