BK Residents Fear Being ‘Guinea Pigs’ in Rooftop Lithium-Ion Battery Plan 1/13/2013

mack

Administrator

BK Residents Fear Being ‘Guinea Pigs’ in Rooftop Lithium-Ion Battery Plan​

The FDNY’s plan for “water, water, water” if a large battery system on a Williamsburg rooftop were to catch fire has not curbed residents’ fears.

Bulldog

Bulldog
If I lived in the building I would certainly be against it! Based on what's happened recently elsewhere with lithium-ion battery fires I would certainly think it's safer place to be found put some. In addition to the huge fire risk, accessibility to fighting fire would be much more difficult for rooftops. I stuff he found the following statement "MicroGrid has supplied letters from two engineers who believe the building can handle the weight," interesting. The engineers only "believe" the building can handle the excessive weight? They can't give a better assurance and that it should definitely be shot down!

The installation is on the Side 3 and 4 area of the roof, where apparatus do not have easy access?

Last edited:
“Water, Water, Water” 7 stories up on the roof doesn’t sound so reassuring. Also the thinking the roof can hold the weight just sound sketchy

the hipsters who gentrified this neighborhood , which in turn became unaffordable which chased out the locals
get everything they deserve

the hipsters who gentrified this neighborhood , which in turn became unaffordable which chased out the locals
get everything they deserve
Sad to see almost all the factories and warehouses torched. Neighborhood lost its soul and roots. I read up a lot about jobs in factories and warehouses in BK, almost all are arson jobs. Cheaper to torch the land then try to get it rezoned