Most unusual call you ever responded to?

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Tonight in Walden, Orange County, NY, the department was dispatched for a male with a toilet seat stuck on his head.
During your career what was the most interesting or unusual call you ever responded to?

During the gas crisis back in the mid 70's , we got a run for an order of smoke. We checked the building thoroughly for any fire or where the smoke condition was coming from. It was actually coming from the adjacent building because they were using wood in their oil burner to warm up the house. As I've said before, the things we saw were so ridiculous they couldn't be made up. This is just 1 of the many that 24 years working there had us responding to. How about 2 telephone alarm runs to Cooper Ave., when the caller finally realized she had moved to Weirfield Ave. now.

LOL! I will get back to you on date.... actually have the ticket somewhere.. Detailed to E329 for the day tour "lifeguards hair on fire" not kidding. Was unfounded (10-92) ...but hate to say it but we were little humored as we going out the doors responding to this run.

Responded to an all hands fire on the 4th floor of a 6 story OMD. After the fire was out, it was obvious the fire started in the middle of the living room floor in a fourth floor apartment. The Chief in the 41 Battalion asked to see the tenant and asked how the fire could have started in the middle of the living room. His response: " I was cold, man!"

I was a new Batt Chief and we get a run for a structural fire in a private dwelling. It’s about 1 pm . The first engine arrives and announces a working fire and advises they are stretching a line. I arrive shortly thereafter as they are making the stretch. The fire is a well involved kitchen fire at the rear of the house, smoke is banked about halfway down to the front door. It’s actually a bread and butter Fire. The homeowner, a male of about 34 y/o comes up to me frantic and says please please save my cat - my cat is still in there. I radio the company assigned to primary search to look for a cat. About 2 minutes later the officer of the company performing the search radios me in a very excited state “ Chief there is a Tiger in the garage!!” I ask him to repeat his message . “ Chief we saw it, a tiger alive in the garage, it roared at us!!” I turned to the homeowner and asked how big was his cat. He says “ oh I’m sorry it’s a 70 pound Puma!!! As the smoke lifted we let the homeowner quickly go in the garage and secure the Puma who was a little pissed off from the smoke. The Puma was brought out on a leash and given water. The animal was actually very tame and the homeowner has a ligitimate license for it. I quickly relieved the company doing the search so they could go back to quarters and change their underwear and every job I ever had after that where a homeowner Said please rescue my cat(s) I always asked what type and what size 😂.

My best is after the layoff’s of 1975 many of us were not returned to our original company, this is the story of one incident related.
A brother ( to remain nameless) was reassigned to a truck in the Bronx by mistake. He lived in Bayridge! After a short time the mistake was corrected and he was transferred to L131. He had come by to report in and get his group assignments that day and was going to the Bronx to pick up his gear. Unfortunately a snow storm hit that day and the brothers in the Bronx gave him a going away party (sic).
Well that night we started receiving boxes all along 4th Ave, block after block. Someone was walking along pulling boxes one after another.
When we caught up to the perpetrator he tried getting on the truck. The guys tried pushing him off and were ready to call the PD, luckily one of the guys recognized him. It was our new guy, covered in ice and snow and somewhat incoherent from an earlier party!
It seems he drove his VW Bug into a snow pile and abandoned his car and started walking but the weather and his condition made him desperate for help.
The next morning we found his car buried in snow and from that day on he was called Frosty.

As a new fireman in the East Village in Manhattan, we had a mattress fire, (not unusual) but as we took it from the building to the curb and put it by the open hydrant to make sure all the smoldering fire was completely extinguished, the occupant came to me and asked if I found his dentures. I said no but I was still picking it open, when suddenly I saw his choppers, so I picked it up with my wet and dirty gloves and handed him his uppers. Then to my surprise, he put it right in his mouth dirt, soot and what ever else one would see by the curb in those days. You can’t make these stories up.

mack

Administrator
Coney Island - 1971 - Voice alarm - "245/161/318/166 - Respond to reported fire vicinity Coney Island Creek - several boxes pulled"

The full assignment - 2&2 w/chief - could see smoke from a large, hard to get to, burning couch. Smoke was also visible from the Belt Parkway and the dispatcher continue to get calls but it was difficult to stretch a line to put it out. 24 members were frustrated, wanted to get back to quarters to finish meals and to go back in service for a good job. The 43 aide somehow made a brilliant discovery searching garbage dumped nearby - a huge pile of empty paint cans. 4 companies, aide and chief lined up, a proby standing in the creek, and an all-hands bucket brigade was formed to effectively pour water on the stubborn couch.

My best is after the layoff’s of 1975 many of us were not returned to our original company, this is the story of one incident related.
A brother ( to remain nameless) was reassigned to a truck in the Bronx by mistake. He lived in Bayridge! After a short time the mistake was corrected and he was transferred to L131. He had come by to report in and get his group assignments that day and was going to the Bronx to pick up his gear. Unfortunately a snow storm hit that day and the brothers in the Bronx gave him a going away party (sic).
Well that night we started receiving boxes all along 4th Ave, block after block. Someone was walking along pulling boxes one after another.
When we caught up to the perpetrator he tried getting on the truck. The guys tried pushing him off and were ready to call the PD, luckily one of the guys recognized him. It was our new guy, covered in ice and snow and somewhat incoherent from an earlier party!
It seems he drove his VW Bug into a snow pile and abandoned his car and started walking but the weather and his condition made him desperate for help.
The next morning we found his car buried in snow and from that day on he was called Frosty.
Was that FF "Fast Eddie" , Ex-E249?