ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

RET CPT GEORGE T. (TOMMY) MAYERHOFER ENG*40.

I just recd word that on 12-7-22 a Friend going back to the Fifties has Passed To A Higher Level at 77 yrs of age in his longtime Home in Pawleys Island SC & now joins His Wife Patricia who after almost 50 yrs of Marriage had Passed To A Higher Level in 2019..... In the FDNY he was referred to as George which was also his Fathers first name but at home to avoid confusion he was called Tommy (his middle name) as kids hanging out we always also called him Tommy....he was Appt to ENG*45 & one day we had to pick up a spare LAD in the then new Qtrs of LAD*58....I asked a FF if Tom Mayerhofer was working & he said there was no one by that name there....I thought I had made a mistake in what Unit Tommy was assigned to....when I walked into the kitchen there was Tommy.....thats when I found out about the George ID OTJ...Tommy ( / George ) was a familiar face at UFOA Mtgs....... going back at one point many years ago Tommy had 5 siblings & his Parents wanted to have one more but they had Triplets so he then had 8 Siblings.....His Dad was a FF in LAD*142 & his Uncle was a LT in ENG*293......two of his other Uncles owned Mayerhofer's Candy store on Jamaica Ave bet 89 & 90 St across from one of the three Schmidts Ice Cream Parlor's along Jamaica Ave (one at 90 St & one at 94 St & one at 104 St each owned by one of the Schmidt Brothers....the 94 St one remains strictly as a Homemade Custom Chocolate & Candy Store run by the Grand Daughter of the original owner with a tremendous following of customers selling to walk-ins...Dept Stores & online worldwide... https://www.qchron.com/editions/que...cle_ac630fc7-b99f-590e-99b1-2bfcd6fac47d.html She Margie grew up around the corner on 94 St a few doors from Tommy Mayerhofer's childhood house .) .....REST IN PEACE BROTHER ....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (USMC) & FDNY ....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES .........PHOTO & OBIT...

www.yorktownfuneralhome.com/obituaries/George-Mayerhofer/#!/Obituary
Nice memory Jack. Was it his father who was a BC in the 40Bn when I was in 114 & I believe the chief’s brother, was also a BC in the 42Bn at the same time.
RIP George/Tommy.

From another site:

1.3 With regret, the Department announces the death of retired Firefighter Henry J. Helgeson appointed
March 1, 1967, retired October 6, 1987, formerly of L-4, residing in Naples, FL, which occurred on
April 27, 2022

Hank came over from the NYPD and was a member of 132 before transferring to Ladder 4. Good guy, great sense of humor he was he the only guy I knew who wore a red shirt and suspenders and looked like a 1890's fireman for a laugh. He will be missed.
Rest in Peace, Hank. May your families at home and on St. Johns Place and 8th Avenue be comforted.

REMEMBERING BILL JONES aka KIMBA..... ..Last Tour On Earth 12-23-2012... Appt 1962....FF ENG*53 & ENG*69....LT LAD*104....CPT LAD*34....BC BN*35 & BN*56....DC Safety....Various Staff positions......always did the right thing.....Bill never was assigned to Siegel St just covered there (which he always remembered & always reminisced about some of the more memorable incidents)..... Bill too bad you could not make that one last trip to QNS to sit & sip some Guiness at MAGGIE MAYS.....REST IN PEACE MY BROTHER & FRIEND.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....SEMPER FI.....Good by KIMBA/DROOPY......10-9 at a Higher Level.

In addition to Jack, Tommy (George Mayerhofer) was also a friend. When I was a Covering Captain in TL-7 I was "volunteered" to be detail to the FDNY Infection Control Unit at the FDNY Fire Academy. George took over my covering spot and knew I was not happy and wanted to stay in the firehouse. Not only did he say if I wanted to come back after my time in the Infection Control Unit was over, but he also said that he would make calls to help me get back to TL-7, and he did. I never did get the captain's, spot in TL-7 but George tried for me. He was a class act all the way and a friend. Rest in Peace Brother. Capt. Bob Rainey E-26 FDNY Retired

In addition to Jack, Tommy (George Mayerhofer) was also a friend. When I was a Covering Captain in TL-7 I was "volunteered" to be detail to the FDNY Infection Control Unit at the FDNY Fire Academy. George took over my covering spot and knew I was not happy and wanted to stay in the firehouse. Not only did he say if I wanted to come back after my time in the Infection Control Unit was over, but he also said that he would make calls to help me get back to TL-7, and he did. I never did get the captain's, spot in TL-7 but George tried for me. He was a class act all the way and a friend. Rest in Peace Brother. Capt. Bob Rainey E-26 FDNY Retired
RIP Brother

RET CPT CHARLES DRICOLL R*5...... On 1-4-23 at 91 yrs of age.... REST IN PEACE BROTHER......THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (USCG Korean War) & FDNYPRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES..... The original CPT of R*5 when it was re organized in 1984....he had been a FF in R*1 & was very knowledgeable in Rescue Tactics.....I covered a few vacations in R*5 & was always welcomed by & had some interesting conversations with Charlie .....he was in the TV video chronicling R*1 in the early '60s (along with Paul Geidel Sr.)..... in one segment they are filmed responding to & operating at the Loft Bldg Fire that killed R*1 FF John Farragher.....Charlies Son was also OTJ....... PHOTO...OBIT & ARRANGEMENTS..

Last edited:
his son denis was a fr in L113
Lt in L157 and E157
denis and his brither charlie were/are basketball coaches at st peters hs on s.i.
denis's son also otj along with many other driscolls
rest in peace capt driscoll

RET BC WILLIAM DONLEAVY BN*37.....
On 12-31-22 at 82 yrs of age....
FF Ladder 111
Lt L 140 and L 176
Captain Ladder 106
Battalion Chief Battalion 37
REST IN PEACE BROTHER......THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (USMC) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES..... SEMPER FI !........thru the yrs I ran in with Bill in all his assignments.....always a hello & a smile ......

www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/legacyremembers/william-bill-donleavy-obituary?id=38555101%26utm_source%3Dfacebook%26utm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_campaign%3Dobitsharebeta

I worked with Bill when he was a Lt. in 176. Nothing ever got him rattled and a real good Officer. Unfortunately didn't get to see him much anymore after his move down south.

From another site:

1.2 With regret, the Department announces the death of retired Fire Marshal George S. Tufte appointed
February 16, 1962, retired January 31, 1995, formerly of BFI, residing in Boynton Beach, FL, which occurred on
June 4, 2022.

I'm sure he will be remembered as a great war years photographer, with many of his pictures shown in many WNYF's, other publications and his book :F.D.N.Y. - In The Bravest Tradition"

Rest in Peace, Mr. Tufte.

^^^^^^^^.
Fr. Cornelius K. Smith was appointed on February 9, 1963.
He was assigned to Engine 68 and retired from Engine 52 on October 2, 1979.