New FDNY Tillers

There are a lot of factors involved......many of the Walker FH's and others cannot support the additional weight and space is tight in most quarters. Also many response areas have changed with the addition of bike lanes and pedestrian plazas and citybike docks and other various progressive initiatives. It will be interesting to see who gets them. 82 and 83 in SI should have but quarters may not support them.
This is a most interesting conversation. You guys are up on everything. I have nothing to add... but of course I will say something...

In my day everything was a tiller, but they were a h*** of a lot lighter than those that are manufactured today. I can see where the Walker FHs in particular would now have a problem with the additional weight, even if stretched along the apparatus floor.

Here's a memory for you...

My great friend, the late Sam Preston (FF E79) rushed into the Jolly Tinker pub on Webster Avenue (where we were both part time bartenders) one night and said "come on we have to go see my brother Matty in L27-2"... They just got a new rig and it's some kind of a new "Mini truck".

And so we did and so it was, the first of the rear mounts, maybe its 2d night in service. Supposedly just for those few ladder companies with 2nd sections.

Who knew they would transform the entire FDNY?

Last edited:
Concerning the weight factor between the tillers and tower ladders. When Ladder 44 received their TL in the 60's, it was only then the floor was reinforced with rows of screw jacks in the basement.
so i heard somewhere that HM1/Sq288 have jacks in the bottom as well

This appears that it might become an interesting development. I am sure that the knowledgeable members close to this will keep us accurately informed.

This appears that it might become an interesting development. I am sure that the knowledgeable members close to this will keep us accurately informed.
and considering that it seems they are struggling to get the first new Seagrave rearmount in service, which is replacing a rearmount, l wouldn't hold our breathins towards seeing a tiller replace a rearmount anytime soon.

and considering that it seems they are struggling to get the first new Seagrave rearmount in service, which is replacing a rearmount, l wouldn't hold our breathins towards seeing a tiller replace a rearmount anytime soon.
The tillers are nowhere near done….

Did I miss something? The department is struggling to get a Rearmount in service? And what does this have anything to do about companies requesting a Tiller in the future?

The rigs are inspected bolt by bolt panel by panel seat by seat they mark everything that’s wrong and send it back…. Takes them 2 weeks to just go over the rig when it first comes in.

Did I miss something? The department is struggling to get a Rearmount in service? And what does this have anything to do about companies requesting a Tiller in the future?
yes, you did miss something, you missed the point of my statement, i.e., if it takes this long to swap a new rearmount that is so similar to the existing rearmounts that CTS does not even need one that it seems it would take forever to get a tiller situated in a company that has never had one.

yes, you did miss something, you missed the point of my statement, i.e., if it takes this long to swap a new rearmount that is so similar to the existing rearmounts that CTS does not even need one that it seems it would take forever to get a tiller situated in a company that has never had one.
Everything takes a long time here and perhaps the new tillers will take even longer, but they are coming... Eventually

You made a statement that the department was struggling to get a new rig (Rearmount) in service. My question is why? Was there a problem with the rig. Did it not pass inspection? Is it even in the city yet? Has any company started training on it if it has been accepted? And as far as the question I asked, You make the statement "That it seems it would take forever to get a tiller situated in a company that has never had one". The Brothers and Sisters in any of those companies will be up to the task of handling a tiller when they get one. When they get built and arrive at The Rock, they will be welcomed by those companies. Something, that is passed down from Senior Chauffeurs to New Chauffeurs, Know your Response Area, Know your Rig, Respect Your Rig, and Don't be afraid to drive your rig. Don't forget, all LCC's are trained, certified, and qualified to drive and operate all ladder company rigs that are used by the department in one of the most advanced training programs in the fire service. New companies will be well trained before they go in service.

Last edited:
You made a statement that the department was struggling to get a new rig (Rearmount) in service. My question is why? Was there a problem with the rig. Did it not pass inspection? Is it even in the city yet? Has any company started training on it if it has been accepted? And as far as the question I asked, You make the statement "That it seems it would take forever to get a tiller situated in a company that has never had one". The Brothers and Sisters in any of those companies will be up to the task of handling a tiller when they get one. When they get built and arrive at The Rock, they will be welcomed by those companies. Something, that is passed down from Senior Chauffeurs to New Chauffeurs, Know your Response Area, Know your Rig, Respect Your Rig, and Don't be afraid to drive your rig. Don't forget, all LCC's are trained, certified, and qualified to drive and operate all ladder company rigs that are used by the department in one of the most advanced training programs in the fire service. New companies will be well trained before they go in service.
The point l was trying to make, l'll try to remake in a real simple statement now, >>> it seems it's taking a while to get the first new Seagrave rearmount, LADDER 32, in service considering there's no special training required... '' struggling '' was a poor choice of word, no suggestion of
incompetence on the department intended.

l guess it could just be my anxiety to see one in service that is making it seem like it's taking a long time.

Last edited:
The point l was trying to make, l'll try to remake in a real simple statement now, >>> it seems it's taking a while to get the first new Seagrave rearmount, LADDER 32, in service considering there's no special training required... '' struggling '' was a poor choice of word, no suggestion of
incompetence on the department intended.

l guess it could just be my anxiety to see one in service that is making it seem like it's taking a long time.