10-18 Signal

Unless there's a thread elsewhere on Marine Company response policy -
I believe Marine units were staffed with "firefighting" personnel until the late 60's"
Into the 70's, the only members on board were the wiper(s), marine engineer, Officer and pilot for obvious reasons to prepare for response..
When a boat was required, they either waited to be staffed by land units before leaving the slip, or the land unit manpower boarded adjacent to the point of operation.
Has any of that changed at all? I'm referring to the boats over 100' and not the smaller under 50' craft.

Unless there's a thread elsewhere on Marine Company response policy -
I believe Marine units were staffed with "firefighting" personnel until the late 60's"
Into the 70's, the only members on board were the wiper(s), marine engineer, Officer and pilot for obvious reasons to prepare for response..
When a boat was required, they either waited to be staffed by land units before leaving the slip, or the land unit manpower boarded adjacent to the point of operation.
Has any of that changed at all? I'm referring to the boats over 100' and not the smaller under 50' craft.
I still believe the Marine Units also have two Firefighters staffed. At least back in the ‘80’s when I was there. There job was to do all the necessary duties to tie up and remove land lines when docking etc. When needed the unit would pick up a land unit to respond to fires and emergencies.

mack

Administrator
When visiting Marine 6 a few years back, they had 2 FFs assigned. They had a run for a minor fire and responded immediately with crew.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
There is no difference between the FDNY term Signal 18 & 10-18. They mean the same. Port Authority Police used '8' as a prefix to their codes. In the radio field it all has the same meaning.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I still believe the Marine Units also have two Firefighters staffed. At least back in the ‘80’s when I was there. There job was to do all the necessary duties to tie up and remove land lines when docking etc. When needed the unit would pick up a land unit to respond to fires and emergencies.
The latest policy is all of the smaller (30' & 33') are manned by an officer & 2 FF at all times. The larger boats still only have the marine crew, pilot, marine engineer, & wipers besides an officer & two firefighters. The 30' vessels are know as the "Bravo" boats, 1B, 6B, & 9B are medical boats. There also require 2 FDNY Rescue Paramedics, & a qualified FDNY EMS Supervisor. Companies were trained to meet the marine unit at certain pickup points along NYC's various waterways as a way of reducing response time. Yes, the larger boats, Mar 1 & 9 can wait at quarters until neighboring companies arrive to assist.

The latest policy is all of the smaller (30' & 33') are manned by an officer & 2 FF at all times. The larger boats still only have the marine crew, pilot, marine engineer, & wipers besides an officer & two firefighters. The 30' vessels are know as the "Bravo" boats, 1B, 6B, & 9B are medical boats. There also require 2 FDNY Rescue Paramedics, & a qualified FDNY EMS Supervisor. Companies were trained to meet the marine unit at certain pickup points along NYC's various waterways as a way of reducing response time. Yes, the larger boats, Mar 1 & 9 can wait at quarters until neighboring companies arrive to assist.
The Rescue Medics and HazTac officer are only assigned to the boats for special events. During normal operations the nearest trained unit is assigned and they'll board the boats to respond.