New Rearmount order

Are all the new rigs pretty much the same top speed? Wondering if these are faster or slower compared to the older rigs that they are replacing. If I am correct, the mack's from what I have been told were very fast compared to what replaced them up until now

As I recall, those Mack's were a lot lighter than the newer rigs. That may have some bearing on top speed.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Are all the new rigs pretty much the same top speed? Wondering if these are faster or slower compared to the older rigs that they are replacing. If I am correct, the mack's from what I have been told were very fast compared to what replaced them up until now
Don't forget all of the new equipment has all of the restrictions on the diesel engines mandated by federal requirements. That has a big effect on the performance of the engines.

gym

Seeing the discussion of speed of todays rigs, just wondering if the shops ever installed governors on the older rigs, say prior to 1950.

Can't tell you about the most recent specs. but the specs. dated 5/14/20 require a speed of 55-58 mph.

55-58 is kinda slow compared to European standards.....Swedish fire engines are unpluged (no speed limiter) so they do anything between 75-80 mph ....the fastest i have travelled behind a laddertruck in sweden was 75 mph and that one was getting away from me....

55-58 is kinda slow compared to European standards.....Swedish fire engines are unpluged (no speed limiter) so they do anything between 75-80 mph ....the fastest i have travelled behind a laddertruck in sweden was 75 mph and that one was getting away from me....
Maybe so, you have got to remember that we are talking about the City of New York. There is no way that an FDNY rig can go 75-mph even on the highways. There are many a-holes that drive on the streets of New York that double-park, block hydrants, and in some cases, act like the rigs are invisible. A top speed of 55-58 mph would be just right for FDNY rigs. And I doubt that the chuffers would be able to reach that speed in New York City.

Last edited:
I’d say you have to remember the weight difference. I’m not FDNY but my 95’ tower ladder is just about 81,000lbs. Unsure id want to be doing 75mph in that.

I’d say you have to remember the weight difference. I’m not FDNY but my 95’ tower ladder is just about 81,000lbs. Unsure id want to be doing 75mph in that.
European fire trucks look like cute kids toys compared to American fire apparatus and are a fraction of the size

58 mph corresponds to almost 100 kmh. This is the speed at which fire trucks are also limited in Germany. I think this is also rather the European standard.

Sweden is a very sparsely populated country, in which there are also relatively few fire stations. So that especially in rural areas long distances must be covered. High maximum speeds certainly pay off here.

In a densely populated city like New York, however, it is certainly more important to have good acceleration values than a high top speed.

Maybe so, you have got to remember that we are talking about the City of New York. There is no way that an FDNY rig can go 75-mph even on the highways. There are many a-holes that drive on the streets of New York that double-park, block hydrants, and in some cases, act like the rigs are invisible. A top speed of 55-58 mph would be just right for FDNY rigs. And I doubt that the chuffers would be able to reach that speed in New York City.
A guy I know was detailed to an engine company whose chauffeur was bragging he got the rig to 70 M.P.H. on _________ Avenue.
I'm not naming the street so as not to identify the company.

You can reach 55 going downhill on a highway. I have. lol

If anyone has driven the 01/02 Rear-mount Seagrave spares, compared to the newer Ferraras do those rigs seem to go faster? They got Detroit Diesel Engines in them compared to I believe all the newer rigs are running Cummins.