FDNY Type 2 Ambulances

The FDNY has issued a bid for 425 Type 2 van-based ambulances. These will be on either Ford Transit or Sprinters. This is a major change of policy. I dont know of any other major city that use them. They might be used for hospital to hospital transport, but 425 is too many.

The FDNY has issued a bid for 425 Type 2 van-based ambulances. These will be on either Ford Transit or Sprinters. This is a major change of policy. I dont know of any other major city that use them. They might be used for hospital to hospital transport, but 425 is too many.
Do you have a link? 425 seems a lot, especially since last I heard the new buses are going to be F-550/ Hortons. That said San Francisco uses Sprinters. Personally, when I was in Newark we had them and for the most part they worked really well. Also, FDNY doesn't do inter-facility transport.

Do you have a link? 425 seems a lot, especially since last I heard the new buses are going to be F-550/ Hortons. That said San Francisco uses Sprinters. Personally, when I was in Newark we had them and for the most part they worked really well. Also, FDNY doesn't do inter-facility transport.
Those types of ambulances are good for basic transport but if you have to work up a cardiac arrest not so good.

Link-85722B0180-2200150 NYC PASSPORT-https://passport.cityofnewyork.us/page.aspx/en/bpm/process_manage_extranet/10233

Inter facility stuff is done by transport companies or the actual hospital themselves. For example SIUH has ambulances dedicated to transfer patients up and down Hylan Blvd between north and south campus. These are just northwell emergency services. The 911 member buses do not take part in this at all.

425 type 2s feels like nearly enough to replace each active bus. Definitely not a good option for any ACLS. Too narrow.

Bulldog

Bulldog
425 type 2s feels like nearly enough to replace each active bus. Definitely not a good option for any ACLS. Too narrow.
Actually, I've been inside several of the Sprinters and depending how they are equipped they are just as wide as the modular units! Sprinters are a much larger vehicle than the typical vans used for type 2s. Since FDNY never puts a new chassis under an old box anyway this could be a good move.

Believe they are going to be used for the mental health runs with the emt/social worker duo that’s been piloted before.
I think you are correct. That's what was announced the the Bell Club meeting at the shops earlier in the year.

It's been long discussed about putting the BLS ambulances in vans. Vans are more efficient as far as fuel goes, are easier to navigate tight streets, and are much cheaper then the current Type I's. It's also interesting that they will be 4x4.

I do wonder though if this has anything to do with the long wait for Type I chassis? Or being purchased with a grant?

dan

Well considering there are only about 50 EMS members trained as part of the MHAT or whatever they are calling the program and cannot run a daily complement of units for 911 and there are 200+ OOS trucks daily awaiting repairs who knows what is really going on.....Nobody here that is for sure.

Dan, as you know it's been that way seemingly forever and probably will never change. It's the proverbial jig-saw puzzle with missing pieces.

The contract was awarded to REV Orlando-probably Wheeled Coach-for $ 41 million.

most of Europe uses the van/sprinter type ambulances, and quite a few actually have a physician on board.

:oops: 425 Seems like quite a lot but; How Many Years is the Contract ?
Works out to approx. 100 per boro, considering S.I. will probably get about 25 or so.