2/21/23 Brooklyn 4th Alarm Box 235

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do the Chief's not put the Satellites AND their assigned 2,000 GPM pumper to work at these major fires. Once the chiefs have safely removed the members from the fire building, a Very large caliber stream attack is in order. I worked from time to time in the old Super Pumper system as a fireman back in the 1970s, I know what really large caliber streams can do. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 Retired

FDNY Manhattan Sat. & Lad. Pipe LCSs.jpg

RCL

Why do the Chief's not put the Satellites AND their assigned 2,000 GPM pumper to work at these major fires. Once the chiefs have safely removed the members from the fire building, a Very large caliber stream attack is in order. I worked from time to time in the old Super Pumper system as a fireman back in the 1970s, I know what really large caliber streams can do. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 Retired

View attachment 32509
Good question. Its not just isolated to NY either.
I've seen an industrial pumper doing a pump test in Ohio when we went to order our new engines. Impressive doesn't begin to describe the amount of water they can move. Seen a industrial tower with a 8 or 10,000 gpm pump and 6 large deck guns on it.

It's always been beat into me from multiple places big fire big water. The sooner the wet stuff goes on the redstuff we go home. My old dept has portable bases for our deck guns. Every engine carries one. Only time I've ever seen it come off the truck was for training. About once a year.

We had a fire in a plastics warehouse where I was able to get my engine crew infront of the fire. We could see it further up in the bldg. Hadn't got to us yet maybe 1/4 of the way down the bldg. I was riding up and called command and told them I could stop the fire with a deck gun and 300 feet of 5 inch. He had another engine pull a BlitzFire nozzle and it ran right past that crew. Can't imagine why when I found out they had the 150 gpm tip on it.

Were there any indications that the 1 story was an open extension of the 3 story, or could the wall between have been illegally breached?
The color and intensity of the smoke from the 3 story indicated a heavy fire load for a vacant building.

Also saw a rescue medic wearing a hood and an SCBA. If it were to "hit the fan," do they go in on their own as a team, or does our FAST team call the coordinating?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.