Long Beach NY (Nassau) Working Fire 2/27/23

The Long Beach FD was on the scene of this multiple dwelling apartment fire at 25 Franklin Boulevard. Text & photos courtesy Nassau County Fire Service Academy.

Attachments

• !!.jpg
    !!.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 11
  • !.jpg
    !.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 12
I know very little about Long Beach , but just looked it up. 35000 population and 2.2 square miles of land area. Seems like they are quite a bit of Fire Duty ???

Long Beach is on a barrier island between the ocean and the East Rockaway inlet. I haven't been there in 50+ years, so my information may be more history than anything else, but . . . I spent 6 years there working my way through high school and college working in the A&P. The population used to double in the summer time. In the central part of town there were a lot of multi-story hotels and apartment buildings, mostly along the Atlantic shore. It was also the shopping district, with the stores along Park Avenue, which runs from one end of the city to the other, halfway between the ocean and the bay. The west end was 90% residential, with mostly small houses and narrow streets, much like you find in the western Rockaways. The eastern end was the high rent district, with larger homes, wider streets, and less population. Over the years there have been some very big fires in Long Beach, with the worst being in hotels and apartment buildings (unsprinklered, of course). Here's a Google photo of Long Beach ;

!.png

Long Beach is on a barrier island between the ocean and the East Rockaway inlet. I haven't been there in 50+ years, so my information may be more history than anything else, but . . . I spent 6 years there working my way through high school and college working in the A&P. The population used to double in the summer time. In the central part of town there were a lot of multi-story hotels and apartment buildings, mostly along the Atlantic shore. It was also the shopping district, with the stores along Park Avenue, which runs from one end of the city to the other, halfway between the ocean and the bay. The west end was 90% residential, with mostly small houses and narrow streets, much like you find in the western Rockaways. The eastern end was the high rent district, with larger homes, wider streets, and less population. Over the years there have been some very big fires in Long Beach, with the worst being in hotels and apartment buildings (unsprinklered, of course). Here's a Google photo of Long Beach ;

View attachment 32665
Thank you Ray.. appreciate the info and picture

I know very little about Long Beach , but just looked it up. 35000 population and 2.2 square miles of land area. Seems like they are quite a bit of Fire Duty ???
Thank you Ray.. appreciate the info and picture
Pretty much on point. I grew up there 45 years till retired moved to FL. Paid and Volunteer depts. Not a lot of fire duty but when they get fires sometimes goes to multiples. West end use to be all 1 story bungalows but after Sandy 3 story homes (lifted) 1st floors are concrete garages on most now. West Central, Central & East End of LB is mixture of 1 story, 2 story homes & the Canals were like the West end & now similar to the West end that have been lifted. Oceanside along the boardwalk are 6- story coops & condos. Paid fire dept station located on National blvd at City hall which is middle LB and @ volunteer house one West end on West Park Ave and Indiana st. & one on East end on East Park ave & Maple St.

Pretty much on point. I grew up there 45 years till retired moved to FL. Paid and Volunteer depts. Not a lot of fire duty but when they get fires sometimes goes to multiples. West end use to be all 1 story bungalows but after Sandy 3 story homes (lifted) 1st floors are concrete garages on most now. West Central, Central & East End of LB is mixture of 1 story, 2 story homes & the Canals were like the West end & now similar to the West end that have been lifted. Oceanside along the boardwalk are 6- story coops & condos. Paid fire dept station located on National blvd at City hall which is middle LB and @ volunteer house one West end on West Park Ave and Indiana st. & one on East end on East Park ave & Maple St.
Thank you sir - very informative

Many bars and restaurants. Fun place.

I know several retired guys who moved there as there summer home and wintered down South.