3/5/23 Bronx 5th Alarm Box 4794

Great Work jj, Our Thanks !
You & Chief of Op. Esposito Workin' the same side of the Fire Bldg. Very Cool. :cool:
It was very impressive watching Chief of Ops Esposito (Car 4) doing the 360 walkaround of the fire scene and eating some smoke instead of hanging around the command post with the other white hats.
Kudos again to the Majestirium and Skyler for their videos and all possible angles of the fire scene.

I will say it again where are the Satellites with their large Inteligent monitors at these major fires? "Thay are not just hose wagons. 1965 Super Pumper at Drill.jpg"Where is "New Super Pumper"? As a young fireman in the 1970s I worked in both the older Satellites and a few times in the Old Super Pumper. I saw what really large caliber streams can do. New Jersey has the "Neptune" large capacity pumping system, why not Greater New York?
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

I will say it again where are the Satellites with their large Inteligent monitors at these major fires? "Thay are not just hose wagons. View attachment 32868"Where is "New Super Pumper"? As a young fireman in the 1970s I worked in both the older Satellites and a few times in the Old Super Pumper. I saw what really large caliber streams can do. New Jersey has the "Neptune" large capacity pumping system, why not Greater New York?
l agree, ... Very strange.

In the blackout in July of 1977 a 10th Alarm was transmitted for Knickerbocker & Bleeker. Although route cards only went to a 5th, Guess the computer was able to dig deep and get a 10th alarm out there.
This fire pre-dated the full implementation of the original computer system.

I’d love to see that rundown lol
7/18/1977 484 Knickerbocker Ave & Bleecker St, Brooklyn, 5 story vacant 100 x 100 knitting mill & 23 other buildings 10 alarms

1335 Box 767 Knickerbocker Ave & Menahan St
E271 E277 E237 L124 L112 R2 BC28

1342 2-2 767

1344 3-3 767

1358 4-4 767

1404 5-5 767

Special Calls - 7 Engines, 6 TowerLadders

1511 77-767-66-33-678 Borough Call – Ave of Americas & 30th St - 11 engines

1637 Under Control

As far as I know the CADS system can only dispatch and relocate units up to a 5th alarm.
I believe you are correct regarding the old Computer Assisted Dispatch System.
Unless I'm mistaken, and if there is a current member of FDNY Communications on this site that can correct me, iF you go to a monitor in the Bronx PSAC, the computer will bring up a box alarm assignment on a blue screen - all the way to a 10th alarm.

dan

A few years ago after several large fires that rose to the 6-9th alarm level, Operations decided to go back to highest alarm being a 5-5. There were a few reasons for this.....mostly the optics that wow we cannot put out fires anymore and the unlimited multiple alarm assignment was from a previous COD and since he was now 10-8 lets resume previous ways. The new Fire CAD has an essentially unlimited assignment card and depth of search. Relocators now go into fires because after several near misses and serious injuries etc....Operations wants the closest available units to respond to DWH and escalating incidents. Units are now taking relocations seriously and responding in a timely fashion. There is no such thing as a boro call or similar signals anymore.

In the old days, when they "ran off the bells", assignment cards were a necessity due to the limited ability to convey real-time information.
With ongoing operations elsewhere, relocations, and overall entropy, pre-assignments are usually out the window nowadays. It is best now to let the "system" figure out what the best solution is to get the necessary companies on the scene at that instant in time. It still doesn't hurt to suck up to the dispatchers if you wanna make the job!

A few years ago after several large fires that rose to the 6-9th alarm level, Operations decided to go back to highest alarm being a 5-5. There were a few reasons for this.....mostly the optics that wow we cannot put out fires anymore and the unlimited multiple alarm assignment was from a previous COD and since he was now 10-8 lets resume previous ways. The new Fire CAD has an essentially unlimited assignment card and depth of search. Relocators now go into fires because after several near misses and serious injuries etc....Operations wants the closest available units to respond to DWH and escalating incidents. Units are now taking relocations seriously and responding in a timely fashion. There is no such thing as a boro call or similar signals anymore.
Do you think you'll see guys not wanting to work in companies that do not relocate? If you're in one of these companies, likely your only opportunity to catch work is if you're 1st-4th on the first alarm now.

companies that don't relocate aren't all restricted to the 1st alarm assignment
I understand, however there's little chance of them getting on the fire if they're not relocating to one of the units on the 1st alarm since they send relocators ahead of the companies who would normally be on the greater alarms.

I understand, however there's little chance of them getting on the fire if they're not relocating to one of the units on the 1st alarm since they send relocators ahead of the companies who would normally be on the greater alarms.
very rarely is it to find a incident which all the 1st alarm units are covered , in addition typically by the 3rd alarm level is when you start seeing relocating company's go to a job but it really depends how quick it escalates.

Your curiosity is as good as mines, maybe one of the other fellas on here knows why. It is my understanding that 5th alarm was always officially supposed to be the highest alarm
I just looked it up, the first thing that pops up is "Does the FDNY ask for NJ Units on multiple alarms".......

I will say it again where are the Satellites with their large Inteligent monitors at these major fires? "Thay are not just hose wagons. View attachment 32868"Where is "New Super Pumper"? As a young fireman in the 1970s I worked in both the older Satellites and a few times in the Old Super Pumper. I saw what really large caliber streams can do. New Jersey has the "Neptune" large capacity pumping system, why not Greater New York?
NJ has a Neptune? Do you got a Picture?

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I just looked it up, the first thing that pops up is "Does the FDNY ask for NJ Units on multiple alarms"...
Not under normal conditions. Has NJ units operated in NYC - yes - and under Mutual Aid. The two World Trade Center attacks & the Staten Island Brush Fires in the early 60's come to mind. On a daily basic FDNY will work with NJ departments on any of the bridges or tunnels connecting the two states.

Not under normal conditions. Has NJ units operated in NYC - yes - and under Mutual Aid. The two World Trade Center attacks & the Staten Island Brush Fires in the early 60's come to mind. On a daily basic FDNY will work with NJ departments on any of the bridges or tunnels connecting the two states.
Along with the Holland Tunnel Fire back in '49, RIP Battalion Chief Gunther E. Beake.