3/14/23 Bronx All Hands Box 3396

Address: 2776 Webster Ave. off East 198th St.

Shed fire in the rear

L-56: 10-75 - We have a couple of portable trailers going - 19:55

L-38 FAST

L-56: Advise all incoming units we have live wires down - 19:55

B-27: We have a fully involved shed in the rear - 19:58

B-27: All Hands - Address is 2766 Webster Ave. - Fire in the alley - 1 L/S/O - 20:03

Box number changed from 3510 to 3396

D-7: AVFKD on the shed & vehicle - PWH - 20:07

Maybe:
E-88, 46, 79, 48
L-56, 37, 38F
B-27, 19
R-3
SQ-61
D-7
RAC-3

Last edited:
L-56 told dispatch to advise all incoming units to use caution for live wires, BXD raised each unit in the order of my above rundown.

Companies must've been out prior to this alarm.

The original box number, 3510, Webster Avenue at Oliver Pl., was correct as the fire building is north of 198th St. The assignment there is now
79 48 88. 37 56 38.

On the afternoon of Friday, November 22, 1963 I returned home from my high school, Power Memorial Academy, in shock at the news of the assassination of President John F Kennedy. I will never forget the look of disbelief and chagrin on the face of everyone on the subway and the avenues along the way. None of us knew quite what to do or to feel, especially in this staunchly Irish Catholic neighborhood of Bedford Park. Most everyone was out commiserating on the stoops and the streets.

At about 4 PM the word spread that there was a fire on Webster Avenue and we all moseyed down there to see. I recall watching the companies arrive ...79/37...48...88/38...(no 56 in those days) and going to work. Smoke was puffing from this building, a meat packing plant. Most of the fire was below street level, out the back towards the railroad tracks, but the crowd was fascinated to see these men methodically going about their job of fighting fire. Soon a 2d, then 3d, and I believe a 4th alarm were struck.

As a young buff I counted the additional companies, one after another, roll in and go to work. I can see 75 and 62 arriving almost simultaneously , followed shortly by 46. 45, 81, and 43 thereafter. Ls 33 and 27 followed...E42 and L32 relocated to 79/37...that’s how I remember it.

If you Google the address you will see that adjacent to this building is a parking lot which is where the meat packing plant was located. 60 years later and nothing has been rebuilt on the spot. But the memory is more of the diversion, something that distracted us all from the horror of the loss of our young President.

Last edited:
3511 have you ever looked at 1940’s NYC?
Gives a look back in time to old tax photos. Also some have updated photos from the 1980s.
Sometimes pictures are of wrong building but interesting none the less.
Being your old neighborhood pics May jar some memories

3511 have you ever looked at 1940’s NYC?
Gives a look back in time to old tax photos. Also some have updated photos from the 1980s.
Sometimes pictures are of wrong building but interesting none the less.
Being your old neighborhood pics May jar some memories
Yes I have used that site extensively, bf232. All my guys from the neighborhood love to go back and peek at our humble beginnings.
I also used it to find the building that acted as interim quarters for E40/L35 on Amsterdam Avenue in Manhattan. It was during the construction of what is now Lincoln CenterAnd and was only occupied for a short time. No photos of it in service for the FDNY seem to exist but I was able to find the building, an old warehouse.
So that site is quite useful for research as well as great for memory lane. Thank you for bringing it to everyone's attention and I hope more people on this forum can enjoy it.

It’s a very interesting site.

I really like the feature of site where in Manhattan can zoom in and out and see the old tax lot maps of buildings. Many times the name of business occupants at the time are noted on the maps. And neighborhoods that are long gone that have the pictures on the site. Can really get idea of what a neighborhood was like at that time before being razed for housing projects, new high rises, etc..
and like you said makes it easy to find pictures of old firehouses.

Other Boros have the old pictures of buildings but not the maps to get idea of what was there.

It’s a very interesting site.

I really like the feature of site where in Manhattan can zoom in and out and see the old tax lot maps of buildings. Many times the name of business occupants at the time are noted on the maps. And neighborhoods that are long gone that have the pictures on the site. Can really get idea of what a neighborhood was like at that time before being razed for housing projects, new high rises, etc..
and like you said makes it easy to find pictures of old firehouses.

Other Boros have the old pictures of buildings but not the maps to get idea of what was there.
The Bronx site has the map function also. Black dots indicate that a photo is available for a specific location. And as you said, sometimes it is incorrect.

The top pic is of area on lower east
Side showing current outlines of buildings, streets, etc..
Manhattan allow you to zoom in and the 2nd picture is of same area showing the old tax maps, buildings, and streets , etc.. at time. No other boro has that capability yet on 1940s site.
And yes the black dots can be pressed to show pictures the site has of buildings.

And sorry for double picture in above post