Ladder 145

I just read on D.O. #39 that a retired member, FF Thomas George passed away from L 145. I don't remember that Co., but he retired in 73 so maybe that Co. was disbanded when 2nd sections got the axe.

Checked nyfd.com and checked history of all units, L—145 never used, most likely a typo.

I just read on D.O. #39 that a retired member, FF Thomas George passed away from L 145. I don't remember that Co., but he retired in 73 so maybe that Co. was disbanded when 2nd sections got the axe.
Definitely a typo. Hook & Ladder 145 is among a handful of planned companies that were not organized. Some of these phantom companies were organized many decades later in different locations or pre-empted by existing companies that needed their original new firehouses. In some cases, those firehouses were evened lettered for the phantom companies and photographs exist.

When the Sheffield Avenue firehouse in Brooklyn was opened, it was lettered for Engine 296 and Ladder 145. However Engine 290, itself a phantom company scheduled for Queens, waiting for a firehouse that would later be occupied by another phantom Queens company, occupied the bay instead. Ladder 145 was deferred for many years and when their time arrived, Ladder 103 needing a new home, took their place.

Definitely a typo. Hook & Ladder 145 is among a handful of planned companies that were not organized. Some of these phantom companies were organized many decades later in different locations or pre-empted by existing companies that needed their original new firehouses. In some cases, those firehouses were evened lettered for the phantom companies and photographs exist.

When the Sheffield Avenue firehouse in Brooklyn was opened, it was lettered for Engine 296 and Ladder 145. However Engine 290, itself a phantom company scheduled for Queens, waiting for a firehouse that would later be occupied by another phantom Queens company, occupied the bay instead. Ladder 145 was deferred for many years and when their time arrived, Ladder 103 needing a new home, took their place.
Ladder 103 is actually evolved from Brooklyn FD Ladder 3 at a former vollie house on Gold Street in 1869; moved to Concord Street in 1875, was renumbered as Ladder 53, then 103, and in 1932 moved to current house on Sheffield Ave.

Yes, Ladder 3 on Concord Street begat Ladder 103.

However,

On October 1, 1905, COD Croker stood up the 10th Division on Staten Island with Engine Companies 201 through 208 and Ladder Companies 101 through 105.

Ladder Company 103 was located at 3 Brook St., Tompkinsville in the former quarters of Tompkins Hose Company with a 1905 Gleason & Bailey three horse-hitch city service ladder truck. This was on the north side of Brook St. before it joins Victory Blvd. As of 10 years ago the building was occupied by an antique shop. Hook & Ladder Company 103 became Hook & Ladder Company 78.

Last edited:
Where was 290 going to be organized in Queens?
Engine 290 and Ladder 141 would have been in the firehouse presently home to Engine 292 and Rescue 4. Construction delays and changes in organizational policies disrupted the original company numbering plan for four engine companies and four ladder companies. The engines were eventually organized in newer locations as was one of the ladders. Three ladders are still phantoms.

Last edited:
Ladder 103 is actually evolved from Brooklyn FD Ladder 3 at a former vollie house on Gold Street in 1869; moved to Concord Street in 1875, was renumbered as Ladder 53, then 103, and in 1932 moved to current house on Sheffield Ave.
Sheffield Ave was designated for E296 and L145 and lettered the same. In 1915, E290, which was scheduled and delayed for Woodside, was assigned in place of E296. L145 was deferred until 1932. During this time, L103 was active in downtown Brooklyn. In 1932, L103 in downtown would have been disbanded if not for the decision to re-use their number, six miles away, on the other side of the boro, in the firehouse built for L145.

Boy did I open a can of worms which was all about a typo. I knew a few guys at 307-154. My fellow car pool buddy from Proby School at welfare Island was assigned 307. I thought he was lucky that he got a Queens Co., never knew how busy they were, I was assigned 233-2 in Brooklyn and thought I got screwed. How little did I know back then, because I couldn't have scripted my career any better.