FDNY apparatus placement

^^^^^ EL Tracks could be problematic.....at certain points they might be higher or lower ......in certain Station layouts the Token Booth area (sometime containing offices or maintenance areas) were sort of hung below the actual tracks making the structure even lower) ......one tactic to enable using the Aerial on a bldg fronting on El Tracks was to enter the sidewalk from the corner then drive down the sidewalk....the only drawback at times might be vaults extending under the sidewalk out from the cellar weakening the sidewalk.....most times the casualties were just a bent steel cellar sidewalk door or grating or a corner Mail Box knocked over.....the sidewalks were generally narrow & cars parked at the curb & the bldg itself often negated fully pulling out the old manual tormentors on our Tractor Trailer but raising the Aerial in line pretty vertical & only having to rotate it towards the bldg mostly vertical allowed it to reach the objective in an emergency......one night when I was driving 108 we were interchanged with 106....we responded back to one of our normal 1st Due Boxes on Broadway....we were assigned as 106 on the Fifth Alarm.....as we got a few blocks away over the Handy Talkie we heard a Mayday from a FF trapped at a top floor window on the front of the bldg ....I saw no Ladder (capable of reaching the top floor) in place in front of the bldg under the EL.....as I approached the Fire block I was able to drive onto the end of the Fire block from the corner ...I drove down the sidewalk & Raised & Rotated the Aerial & the FF jumped on the Tip...afterwards he said he wasn't going to be able to stay at the window much longer.

Attachments

• 38FC2C25-571F-4A1A-9D25-CB5BB585E64E.jpeg
    38FC2C25-571F-4A1A-9D25-CB5BB585E64E.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 46
Hear a pic of a fire in Bushwick Brooklyn of E-218 , L-112 & Tl-124 operating on Myrtle ave under the elevated subway tracks. E-218 “ back stretches to the hydrant, leaving the front of the fire building for the trucks. Ariel ladder to,the roof , TL to the window of the fire floor for vent , entry & search (VES). It takes communication and coordination between all the chauffeur involved with all three knowing the operation and needs of each others. You can’t see it on this pic but I‘m pretty sure TL-124 inboard outrigger is deployed on the side walk so the boom can reach the top floor windows.

As a LCC in Manhattan, if nothing was showing for a large building, perhaps 100' long, I'd stop within the first 25'. You can usually always pull forward if something appears, but forget about backing up. Lining up a building with a tiller, rearmount and TL were three unique tactics, also if there were multiple victims at windows. TL you lined up the bucket that also had two other options for victim removal, or the turntable if you were to operate in the throat of a vacant. Another thing the LCC needed to be aware, was to stop the second due engine or ladder company from encroaching behind within 20 feet, otherwise you would not be able to remove portable ladders.

Last edited:
As a buff of the FDNY, what is mentioned in the examples above, played a big part in helping me to do my job as a firefighter in Ct.
Not only myself, but so many other guys who were on the job here, and joined me in several of my buff trips.
These days many have become high raking officers and continue with the teachings of what they too learned from the FDNY.
Needless to say that we are ALL Very Thankful for what you (members of the FDNY) taught us.
And I think it might be safe to say; "so are the many citizens who have benefitted during their time of need as well".

My 20 years in 176 we always had a 100 Ft. aerial. When Capt. Vigiano was assigned the Co. he asked the chauffeurs if the 125 Ft. aerial would be a good choice to replace the 100 footer. We all agreed it would not be in our best interest to have the longer aerial. Our defense was most of the buildings are 3-4 stories and the 100 ft. has no problem with the reach. Also the 125 Ft. had to have all 4 tormenters down before aerial is raised wasting more valuable time if someone is at a window. So the Capt. agreed and we kept the 100 footer.
One day tour we relocate to 20 Truck and of course we all knew where it was due to Medical Office also occupying the same building. We get a run around the corner from the firehouse and we have fire showing at the fifth floor window of a loft building. I put the roof man on the roof and lowered aerial to the fifth floor window where fire was showing and found out it was only the sill that was burning and no extension in to the building. After all was said and done and I realized our 100 ft aerial was almost fully extended to reach that 5th floor window. A 5 story loft building is a whole different ballgame than our lowly 3-4 stories in Bklyn.
I've been out of the Firehouse 30 years so I have no idea how the rigs have changed.

My 20 years in 176 we always had a 100 Ft. aerial. When Capt. Vigiano was assigned the Co. he asked the chauffeurs if the 125 Ft. aerial would be a good choice to replace the 100 footer. We all agreed it would not be in our best interest to have the longer aerial. Our defense was most of the buildings are 3-4 stories and the 100 ft. has no problem with the reach. Also the 125 Ft. had to have all 4 tormenters down before aerial is raised wasting more valuable time if someone is at a window. So the Capt. agreed and we kept the 100 footer.
One day tour we relocate to 20 Truck and of course we all knew where it was due to Medical Office also occupying the same building. We get a run around the corner from the firehouse and we have fire showing at the fifth floor window of a loft building. I put the roof man on the roof and lowered aerial to the fifth floor window where fire was showing and found out it was only the sill that was burning and no extension in to the building. After all was said and done and I realized our 100 ft aerial was almost fully extended to reach that 5th floor window. A 5 story loft building is a whole different ballgame than our lowly 3-4 stories in Bklyn.
I've been out of the Firehouse 30 years so I have no idea how the rigs have changed.
Good story TA, as a LCC in L 5, we ran with L 20, and to your point, the LOFT structure was a whole other animal from an engine and truck standpoint.

Another FDNY apparatus placement rule followed all the time especially back during the "Pull Box" era.....even if the Alarm Box is on the opposite side of the intersection if nobody is waving you in do not cross the intersection as you may have to subsequently turn right or left if the cause for the Alarm is discovered.

Another thought was positioning the TL on an incline. You positioned the apparatus so that if the bucket was extended, and the aparatus slipped, the bucket would move away from the fire building.

Thank you for these "operating tips".
These are the kinds of things that I didn't learn from a book, but from experienced firefighters of the FDNY.

I do a monthly newsletter for guys who are on the job here, and I plan to pass on these tips to them.
Of course I will also encourage them to sign up to be a member of www.nycfire.net as well.

Another FDNY apparatus placement rule followed all the time especially back during the "Pull Box" era.....even if the Alarm Box is on the opposite side of the intersection if nobody is waving you in do not cross the intersection as you may have to subsequently turn right or left if the cause for the Alarm is discovered.
To your point JK I was told by a senior LCC, even if someone is waving you down, if you have a reported address, don't get tunnel vision and check the addresses...and make sure you don't pass by the reported address. Because if you drive by, the person at the box may tell you its behind you, you just passed it!.

img_6389-jpeg.34565