AC TRAINING RICHARD P SACCOMANNO

AC of Training and former member of E 88 RICHARD SACCOMANNO has died. Funeral arrangement at Yorktown Funeral Home. Viewing Friday, March 24 from 2PM-8PM.

Richard-Saccomanno-1679396298.jpg

Last edited:
(1982) Everyone, and I mean everyone, feared the Captain who ran the proby school, Captain Saccomanno. Captain Saccomanno had a lean wiry build, he wore aviator glasses and his uniform impeccable. Although not very tall, his shadow was ten feet tall. He walked with a purpose and when he did, all eyes followed him. Captain Saccomanno was gruff, stern, hardened and intimidating and he let it be known right away that he set the standard, which was nothing short of exemplary. You did not want to be called up to his office or singled out by him, he was to be avoided at all costs.

(TODAY) Richie and I belong to the same retirement group. I often run into him at the local Dunkin Donuts. You could not have met a more charming and delightful man. I introduced him to my wife, and told her how we feared him. We all laughed. It was a pleasure to know you Rich. I pray for your comfort and eternal rest on the top floor.

He ran a tough yet fair Probie school and did put fear into the new recruits, myself included. Had the pleasure of working as an instructor under Richie and found out he was a pleasure to work for. My sincere condolences to his family and prayers that he Rest In Peace. 🙏

I had the honor of meeting Chief Saccomano many years ago when I made a visit to "The Rock" in my early buffing days.
I would go over there for awhile and watch the guys train.
When Chief Saccomano saw me over there he asked me what I was doing.
I told him, "Chief I am on the job in Connecticut and I come over here to watch the guys train".
I have learned just by watching and trying to listen to what the instructors tell them.

Chief Saccomano then told me to follow him.
We went into his office and he told me to sit down.
At this point I figure I'm in some serious trouble and I shouldn't be here.
Chief Saccomano asked me a lot of questions about the job in Ct and about my buffing.

He then opens a desk drawer and hands me the latest FDNY Probie Manual.
He tells me these guys (FDNY Probies) have got to know it cover to cover.
I remember saying to him, "Chief, I can have this" ?
He said; "It's Yours".

I still have it.

THANK YOU CHIEF Saccomano.
It helped me and so many other guys too.

I will NEVER FORGET you Chief and what you did for me as a young firefighter and FDNY buff.
May you Rest in Peace and my condolences to your friends and family members, and to all of your Brother and Sister Firefighters of the FDNY

His actions had a direct effect on the FDNY for the next 30 years. That happened with each class. Can't buy that kind of positive impact.