Fire Departments That Don't Use Standard (NST) Hose Threads

As many of you know FDNY has always utilized its own hose coupling thread. Never made the switch to National Standard Thread (NFPA). I am told that Chicago also has its own thread. While out teaching various departments in the late 80's and early 90's I found out that Cleveland, Cincinatti, and Pittsburgh also utilized their own non national Standard threads. Don't know if Cleveland, Cincinatti, and Pittsburgh still use their own ? So what other departments have their own hose coupling threads that are not NFPA 1963 compliant?

Bulldog

Bulldog
I forget exactly what department said what about when I was in the fire service outside of Rochester New York we had to carry 3 sets of adapters so we could connect hose lines when responding mutual aid! It was a real cluster you know what! Never did understand why some departments were so insistent on having their own threads.

Back on 9-11 I had just made it back to The Highway House when three rigs pulled up from
I think Elizabeth, LittleFerry and one other from New Jersey. But I may be wrong about their identity.
Who and how directed them there I don’t know but we were glad to see them. The first thing we did was to ask if they could hook up and supply water and to my surprise they had fittings for all hydrants and rigs. We put FDNY members with them and over manned the trucks until E 276 returned from WTC.
One company was redirected after we figured out the rig was too tall to go under the subway trestle on 16th Street.
I think it was Little Ferry NJ (?) who stayed for over two days without relief. I believe they were a Volunteer Company and should be acknowledged, belatedly for their dedication. The Brotherhood goes deep.

Wow. Great post. I was unaware that many of these departments were still using proprietary couplings and fittings. Thanks for sharing
Thanks, next time I’m in NY I would like to go back to the Highway to check on those NJ Fire Departments that came to our help. We kept a record of their names etc and would like to somehow acknowledge them. I know they all wanted to go to the pile but their presence was much appreciated. At the time we weren’t thinking about much but the WTC.

Many older cities had their own threads as they were developed before National Standard became a thing. I think after the Great Baltimore Fire was the turning point where the need to standardize was identified. In Westchester, there's National Standard, NY Corp and FDNY plus a few other odd balls. For example, Mount Vernon's hydrants have their own thread for the steamer outlets. I believe Rye does too.

Want to see firemen panic? Take 2-3 chauffer's, each from a different job who have never met before, and get them to try to hook a hydrant together. Each job will undoubtedly have a different name or color-coding system for their adaptors. What's the blue adaptor to one job will be yellow to the another and red to the third. The same can be said when trying to get everyone on the same radio frequency at a job. Your Channel 2 will be someone else's Channel 4.

I heard a story out of Yonkers where they were out on BI and took the time to test standpipe outlets in a high rise and found different threads on the outlets throughout the same staircase. Apparently, the multiple plumbers on the job never compared notes.

Many older cities had their own threads as they were developed before National Standard became a thing. I think after the Great Baltimore Fire was the turning point where the need to standardize was identified. In Westchester, there's National Standard, NY Corp and FDNY plus a few other odd balls. For example, Mount Vernon's hydrants have their own thread for the steamer outlets. I believe Rye does too.

Want to see firemen panic? Take 2-3 chauffer's, each from a different job who have never met before, and get them to try to hook a hydrant together. Each job will undoubtedly have a different name or color-coding system for their adaptors. What's the blue adaptor to one job will be yellow to the another and red to the third. The same can be said when trying to get everyone on the same radio frequency at a job. Your Channel 2 will be someone else's Channel 4.

I heard a story out of Yonkers where they were out on BI and took the time to test standpipe outlets in a high rise and found different threads on the outlets throughout the same staircase. Apparently, the multiple plumbers on the job never compared notes.

I worked in three units in the FDNY that responded to the Tunnels that connected NYC and New Jersey. My first unit in the FDNY was, the long-closed Engine 27, that was 1st due at the Holland Tunnel and Later as Lieutenant in Tower Ladder 21 that was 1st due at the Lincoln Tunnel. I was the Captain of Engine 26 that also responded to the Lincoln Tunnel. Back more than 22 years ago these FDNY units had "Adapters" to convert the treads in the Tunnels to FDNY Thread. I also think the Port Authority Police Tunnel firefighting units carried adapters. We drilled from time to time in the Tunnels, but I only went to one serious incident, involving the commuter that tailed ended another commuter bus. The bus driver was pinned in the bus and lost both his legs. FDNY Rescue Co. 1 extricated him, and Engine Co. 34 stretched a handline of the Tunnel Standpipe.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 Retired.

Back on 9-11 I had just made it back to The Highway House when three rigs pulled up from
I think Elizabeth, LittleFerry and one other from New Jersey. But I may be wrong about their identity.
Who and how directed them there I don’t know but we were glad to see them. The first thing we did was to ask if they could hook up and supply water and to my surprise they had fittings for all hydrants and rigs. We put FDNY members with them and over manned the trucks until E 276 returned from WTC.
One company was redirected after we figured out the rig was too tall to go under the subway trestle on 16th Street.
I think it was Little Ferry NJ (?) who stayed for over two days without relief. I believe they were a Volunteer Company and should be acknowledged, belatedly for their dedication. The Brotherhood goes deep.
If Little Ferry came out, they we're coming from over 90 minutes away. Thats all the way by Teterboro

RCL

If Little Ferry came out, they we're coming from over 90 minutes away. Thats all the way by Teterboro
Yould be surprised where some mutual aid came from. I want to say Oceanside had an engine at 246. Theres a picture floating around the Internet of FDNY 246 with the 246 of an outside company side by side in the bay.

Yould be surprised where some mutual aid came from. I want to say Oceanside had an engine at 246. Theres a picture floating around the Internet of FDNY 246 with the 246 of an outside company side by side in the bay.
What I did know before looking at this thread is Newark Dispatchers we're threatening FF's saying that if they went to the towers, there getting fired ASAP. Not like they had the Authority, in the end, no one from NFD got fired. But I can't really blame the Dispatchers because they belived there could be an attack on Newark. (because the Prudentral Center stands out like a sore thumb)