National Vietnam War Veterans Day

March 29 has been designated National Vietnam War Veterans Day. To those on this site who did not receive a welcome home, I say to you "Welcome Home". To those who lost comrades, friends, spouses ,and relatives in that conflict may they eternally Rest in Peace.

2,709,918 Americans served in Vietnam. Less than 850,000 are still alive.

There were 766 POWs (114 lost in captivity) There are an estimated 1,587 MIAs.

I'm reminded of that every time I go to the post office. They always fly the black POW/MIA flag below the Stars and Stripes.

Last edited:
2,709,918 Americans served in Vietnam. Less than 850,000 are still alive.

There were 766 POWs (114 lost in captivity) There are an estimated 1,587 MIAs.

I'm reminded of that every time I go to the post office. They always fly the black POW/Mia flag below the Stars and Stripes.
There are 58,000 names of our brothers and sisters who never returned on the Vietnam Memorial Wall. Yes, there are at least 6 names of women who died in Vietnam.

In the early 1970's I used to ride with my then vollie chief Bill W. on the medic unit at Station 8 (at Polk and Crawford Sts Downtown. since torn down to make way for the Toyoda Center). Bill and PeeWee R. on the engine were both Vietnam combat veterans. When the house lights and speakers kicked on at night for a run, they used to joke that they didn't know if they should get dressed and slide the pole, or dive under the bed yelling "Incoming!".

Last edited:
March 29 has been designated National Vietnam War Veterans Day. To those on this site who did not receive a welcome home, I say to you "Welcome Home". To those who lost comrades, friends, spouses ,and relatives in that conflict may they eternally Rest in Peace.
Well Said Brother.

jbendick

Administrator
Welcome home brothers and sisters. We did our job and stood strong. But less not forget those who served before us and after us. Never forget brave souls who made the supreme sacrifice. Remember those who are alive today who are suffering the scars of war whether physical or mental. God Bless America