SUPER PUMPER 1

I hope this comes to pass very soon, the FDNY needs this capability. But why not truly high-capacity pumpers. Say 5,000 GPM or more assigned to the existing Satellite unit companies. For many years the old Mack FDNY Super Pumper worked very well, why not revisit the concept using modern technology. If the FDNY can't use this capability, then who can? While we are at it, could not the FDNY use a few very high Tower Ladders of the type used in Toronto, London and Pheonix, AZ. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Bulldog

Bulldog
I hope this comes to pass very soon, the FDNY needs this capability. But why not truly high-capacity pumpers. Say 5,000 GPM or more assigned to the existing Satellite unit companies. For many years the old Mack FDNY Super Pumper worked very well, why not revisit the concept using modern technology. If the FDNY can't use this capability, then who can? While we are at it, could not the FDNY use a few very high Tower Ladders of the type used in Toronto, London and Pheonix, AZ. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
While I do think that the they need exists for high-capacity pumpers, I'm not sure that the need exists for one for each satellite company. Especially considering all the new engine companies are 2000 GPM. The original super pumper wasn't used that often and back then the regular engine companies had less pump capacity.

As far as the tall tower letters go I think the problem being not being able to get them where they are needed. Unless they responded at the 1st you truck there probably would not be room in front of the structure for them to set up.

You make good points but while the old Mack Super Pumper was not put to work as often as it should have been, at times as it should have been. The real benefit of the Mack Super Pumper was the ability to supply large amounts of water through 4 1/2" diameter hose. Thus, the Satellites became very useful during the FDNY "War Years". The newer 2,000 GPM pumpers will make good use of the now 5" diameter hose. But still there are some major fires where really large capacity pumps are required. An example may have been the recent 4th or 5th alarm in Staten Island Townhouses. or the Major warehouse fire in the Bronx about a few months ago. Good apparatus placement is always needed, and the use of either Satellites or Tall Tower Ladders is possible with good scene management. If a fire is on the 15th Floor or greater, there is little need for 95 ft. Tower Ladders OR 100 Ft. Aerial Ladders parked right up to the fire building; I had fires on the upper floors of residential Highrise buildings. including the Lional Hampton Fire where we sure could have used a really tall Tower Ladder. The recent daring Lifesaving Rope rescue by the member of L-16 & Rescue 1 MAY have benefited by a "Tall Tower Ladder" properly positioned. The London Fire Brigade purchased TWO tall Tower Ladders after the Glenfield Tower Disaster in London. Former FDNY Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano was sent to London to help L.F.B. consider what could be improved after the horrific loss of life in the tragic Glenfield Tower high rise dwelling fire. PS. = I am not sure if the correct spelling is Grenfield or Glenfield Towers.
Capt. Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

You make good points but while the old Mack Super Pumper was not put to work as often as it should have been, at times as it should have been. The real benefit of the Mack Super Pumper was the ability to supply large amounts of water through 4 1/2" diameter hose. Thus, the Satellites became very useful during the FDNY "War Years". The newer 2,000 GPM pumpers will make good use of the now 5" diameter hose. But still there are some major fires where really large capacity pumps are required. An example may have been the recent 4th or 5th alarm in Staten Island Townhouses. or the Major warehouse fire in the Bronx about a few months ago. Good apparatus placement is always needed, and the use of either Satellites or Tall Tower Ladders is possible with good scene management. If a fire is on the 15th Floor or greater, there is little need for 95 ft. Tower Ladders OR 100 Ft. Aerial Ladders parked right up to the fire building; I had fires on the upper floors of residential Highrise buildings. including the Lional Hampton Fire where we sure could have used a really tall Tower Ladder. The recent daring Lifesaving Rope rescue by the member of L-16 & Rescue 1 MAY have benefited by a "Tall Tower Ladder" properly positioned. The London Fire Brigade purchased TWO tall Tower Ladders after the Glenfield Tower Disaster in London. Former FDNY Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano was sent to London to help L.F.B. consider what could be improved after the horrific loss of life in the tragic Glenfield Tower high rise dwelling fire. PS. = I am not sure if the correct spelling is Grenfield or Glenfield Towers.
Capt. Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

Grenfell not Glenfield

I was out at the Rock yesterday and it was still there out in the back corner where they do their pump testing.

how does the deckgun put out 8000 GPM if the pump is only rated for 5250.
how often are wheel chocks used .
how long of a period was this filmed

Last edited:
how does the deckgun put out 8000 GPM if the pump is only rated for 5250.
how often are wheel chocks used .
Just because the pump is whatever gpm it matters on how much water you are getting remember the Marine Unit, Hydro Pumps are giving 2-3k each and then plus the hydrant. A 2,000 FDNY engine can do more on a good hydrant…

Pumps are also only rated from a draft. Adding any pressurized source (hydrant, Marine unit, etc.) pumping to them will easily surpass whatever the pump is rated for. My department's 2000GPM ladder can easily do much more.

To really put that thing to the test you Gotta do a long stretch test put it in the middle of Staten Island or near one of the airports where it’s probably actually going to be used and then see what the drafting rate and pump rate is and where are they going to get their water source Then how many boosters relays and such is it gonna take to get to the fire from the water source. You can get max rate all day long pumping off a marine unit like that, but are they always going to have that no.

How many high flow discharges does the Super Pumper have? I saw what looked like 2 on the officer's side pump panel and perhaps 2 off of the rear. I'm curious if the FDNY plans to use the apparatus as sort of a land based marine unit in a "worst case scenario"? In the event of an incident that renders water mains ineffective, a considerable distance from the rivers, could one of the big boats pump to the Super Pumper a couple of thousand feet inland, and have the Super Pumper supply multiple engines? Or is the intended use to provide big water in an industrial setting?

How many high flow discharges does the Super Pumper have? I saw what looked like 2 on the officer's side pump panel and perhaps 2 off of the rear. I'm curious if the FDNY plans to use the apparatus as sort of a land based marine unit in a "worst case scenario"? In the event of an incident that renders water mains ineffective, a considerable distance from the rivers, could one of the big boats pump to the Super Pumper a couple of thousand feet inland, and have the Super Pumper supply multiple engines? Or is the intended use to provide big water in an industrial setting?
To get its full pressure it needs multiple sources…