ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

Posted on another site by a Well Respected Member.... coachkleets

QUOTE.....It is with deep regret that I inform you of the passing Fred Semple member of Squad Co. 2.

Fred was a friend to all who knew him, was an excellent Fireman and a better man. Suffered with emphysema for many years and never once complained. He was appointed in 1960 to Engine 90 and transferred to the Squad in 1963. The Squad was closed in May of 1976, at which time Fred went to Engine 90 and then to Engine 70 in City Island. He retired in 1983.

Family will receive friends on Wednesday March 29th from 3 to 7 at Schuyler Hill Funeral Home in the Bronx, 3535 East Tremont Ave. Bronx 10465. www.schuylerhill.com/

Mass of the Christian Burial at 11 A.M Thursday March 30th at St. Frances DeChantal Church, 190 Hollywood Ave. Bronx 10465.
sfdchantal.org/

Fred broke me in in the Squad2 and became a life long friend. Fred went to Proby School with Charlie McCarthy of Ladder 31 fame and they commuted together from Throggs Neck. Fred went to Eng.90, Charlie to Lad.41. A few years later they transferred to Sq.2 & L-31 respectively. Thoroughly enjoyed watching both joke & prank each other through the years. Both great men. I should mention that Fred joined the U.S. Navy at 17 & saw the world.

He was in my wedding party and we were in touch until the end. Rest easy old friend.....UNQUOTE,

RET LT ANTHONY ORSANO .....
On 4-6-23 at 80 yrs of age.... REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US NAVY) & FDNY.......PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.
FF E214, E252, L-78 and L-153.
Lt E-152 ......RET after 20 yrs OTJ.
Photo & Obit & Arrangements....

IMPORTANT LATE MESSAGE .....Recd this...
“FDNY Brothers, the daughter of Anthony Orsano reached out to the Toms River FD. He has passed away and his service is tomorrow @ Timothy Ryan Funeral Home St Catherine Blvd, Toms River NJ. 2-6. She was looking for an honor guard. With short notice, doubtful we can make it happen. We are sending some guys there to pay respects. Any brothers in the area available to stop by would mean a lot to the family.
Thanks”

Last edited:

jbendick

Administrator
RET FF FRED SEMPLE.....
On 3-26-23 at 86 yrs of age....REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US NAVY) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....

www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/ny/bronx/fred-semple-16176510
I worked with Freddy in the Squad along with a lot of great guys. Freddy was one of the best. It was a great fireman and a fantastic friend. I lost track of him over the years. May he rest in Gods embrace. Good by my friend

jbendick

Administrator
Charlie transferred into L 112 and worked there with his father until the layoffs.
There were also two brothers in the truck around that time.

RET CPT JOHN H. LAVELLE LAD*54...On 4-8-23 at 75 yrs of age.....RET 12-13-02 after 25 yrs. OTJ...A familiar face at UFOA Meetings......
REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.......... Photo & Obit..... https://midhudsonnews.com/obituary/john-h-lavelle/ .....
FF- E43/L59
Lt- E54/L4
Capt. E96/L54

Last edited:

jbendick

Administrator
I knew Charly
RET CPT CHARLES MAGRATH.....
On 4-8-23 at 73 yrs of age...REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES......Charlie was a FF in LAD*157 ...LT in LAD*59 & the CPT of LAD*157.....at the time he was Appt to the Job his Dad was still a FF in LAD*112....... www.flinchandbruns.com/obituary/Charles-Magrath
RET CPT CHARLES MAGRATH.....
On 4-8-23 at 73 yrs of age...REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES......Charlie was a FF in LAD*157 ...LT in LAD*59 & the CPT of LAD*157.....at the time he was Appt to the Job his Dad was still a FF in LAD*112....... www.flinchandbruns.com/obituary/Charles-Magrath
I knew Charlie when he was a Lt. 59 and I was in E. 75. Nice guy and good fireman. May you rest in peace.

RET FF FERGUS J.McARDLE ...WW2 USMC VETERAN....
On 1-17-23 at 94 yrs of age.....RET 8-1-75 after exactly 20 yrs OTJ....REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (USMC WW2) & FDNY...PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....Fergie was a BN*FF in BN*35 with BC Carmichael on Seigel St then RET from LAD*21....

Photo & Obit... obituaries.caminodelsol.com/obituary/Fergus-McArdle

I was a fireman in E-75 detailed to L-59 for a day tour. Charlie was the boss and I was assigned the can. We caught a first due job and I had trouble finding the compartment that the can was stored in. ( I know that I should have checked my tools immediately but the rig was stored across the street as the apparatus floor was being repaired. We caught the job almost immediately after roll call.) Well I was late getting into the fire apartment and the engine boss was really giving me the business, I wanted to crawl away and hide. Well Charlie told the engine boss to shut up and he told me “ don’t sweat it kid”. That was over 30 years ago but I never forget that act of kindness. He was a heck of a fire officer and a heck of a man.

Retired FDNY Lieutenant Louie Minchelli (1930 - 2023) passed away yesterday at his home in Sea Isle City, New Jersey (Cape May County). Louie was a war years firefighter at Engine 50 in the Bronx and for many years had the hot dog cart at 85th & The Beach in Sea Isle City. He was Louie Minelli in Report from Engine Company 82.
Viewing: Godfrey Funeral Home, 644 South Shore Road., Palermo, NJ (Outside Ocean City) Tuesday 04/25/23 from 1700 to 1900.
Funeral: Saint Joseph's Church, 43rd & Landis Avenue, Sea Isle City, NJ Wednesday 04/26/23 at 1100.
Graveside Service: Seaville Methodist Cemetary, 3100 Shore Road, Seaville, NJ (Outside Sea Isle City) Wednesday 04/26/23 at 1230.
The complete obituary is available on the Godfrey Funeral Home website.

Last edited:
Retired FDNY Lieutenant Louie Minchelli passed away yesterday at his home in Sea Isle City, New Jersey (Cape May County). Louie was a war years firefighter at Engine 50 in the Bronx and for many years had the hot dog cart at 85th & The Beach in Sea Isle City. He was Louie Minelli in Report from Engine Company 82. I'll post arrangements when they become available.
RIP Lt.

RET FF FRANK "KNOCKO" WALSH..... On 4-22-23 at 89 yrs of age....REST IN PEACE BROTHER....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US NAVY) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....Frank had been a Boxer & looked the part ....he spent the FDNY War Years on the Backstep of 216 both on Scholes St & Union Ave later going to 309......Frank was a regular attendee at our Annual Siegel Eagles (108/216/BN*35) Reunions..... marineparkfh.com/tribute/details/3909/Francis-Walsh/obituary.html