THEY SAVED NEW YORK

^^^^^ I also thought the picture is Mike Leamy 111 however Mike is no longer with us ......not sure how old these pictures are even though the book is new ?.........it is not either one of the two FDNY Tom Brennan's (Flatbush Tom ) & (Fire Engineering Tom).
Was "Flatbush Tom" a FF in L147?

Yes Flatbush Tom Brennan was a FF in LAD*147....LT LAD*157...CPT...LAD*129...& CPT LAD*2 & CPT LAD*3. A good Man into the Job.

^^^^^ I also thought the picture is Mike Leamy 111 however Mike is no longer with us ......not sure how old these pictures are even though the book is new ?.........it is not either one of the two FDNY Tom Brennan's (Flatbush Tom ) & (Fire Engineering Tom).
It sure looks like him from what I remember doing a vacation or two in 111 & running into him at a car show out near Hofstra College, he had a 96 or 97 Impala SS. I knew he passed, 🙏

Not Ciampo, although he is in the book. That is Mike Leamy of L 111. We also changed the guy on bottom left to Keith Nicoliello, here is the updated version:

TSNYlatest.jpg

Last edited:
Photo of "Fire Engineering" Tom Brennan as a FF in LAD*105 https://fireengineeringbooks.com/tom-brennans-random-thoughts/ Tom was later a LT in ENG*283 & a LT in LAD*120 then the CPT of LAD*40 & the CPT of LAD*111...he was a highly competitive & highly regarded FF / Officer who spent much time passing on knowledge .....when I was still in R*2 I was at Tom's Last Tour in 111 & we finished the night up with a good cellar Fire on Fulton St.....a fitting end to a great FDNY career.....he was 3rd Generation FDNY .....Tom continued on imparting knowledge after the FDNY........ https://www.firehouse.com/home/news/10500323/former-fire-engineering-editor-dies

Photo of "Fire Engineering" Tom Brennan as a FF in LAD*105 https://fireengineeringbooks.com/tom-brennans-random-thoughts/ Tom was later a LT in ENG*283 & a LT in LAD*120 then the CPT of LAD*40 & the CPT of LAD*111...he was a highly competitive & highly regarded FF / Officer who spent much time passing on knowledge .....when I was still in R*2 I was at Tom's Last Tour in 111 & we finished the night up with a good cellar Fire on Fulton St.....a fitting end to a great FDNY career.....he was 3rd Generation FDNY .....Tom continued on imparting knowledge after the FDNY........ https://www.firehouse.com/home/news/10500323/former-fire-engineering-editor-dies

I remember when Tom Brennan became the Chief of the Waterbury, Ct Fire Department.
He was highly respected and greatly appreciated by the guys on the job there in Waterbury.
Everybody wanted a Chief of Department like Tom Brennan.

Tom Brennan's father- Thomas F. won the J.G. Bennett Medal in 1940 as a member of L 111.

Tom was a third-generation FDNY firefighter - his father and grandfather were FDNY firefighters. His grandfather was killed in the line of duty in a gas explosion in 1920. His father, who retired after 35 years of service in FDNY, was up to that time the most decorated firefighter in the department.

Not Ciampo, although he is in the book. That is Mike Leamy of L 111. We also changed the guy on bottom left to Keith Nicoliello, here is the updated version:

View attachment 34445
A Tip of the Helmet to Dan JohnnyGage & Glenn for putting this book together and to the Past, Present and Future Members who carried, carry, and will carry on in the words of Dennis Smith “ This Noble Profession.”

Thank you Dan and Glenn.

No doubt there are many here who are looking forward to buying their own copies.

I am also looking forward to seeing you guys on the Gettin' Salty Podcast, Monday evening 6/12, from 8:00 - 10:00 pm.

Here is the Gettin' Salty Podcast Series Link

www.youtube.com/@GettinSaltyExperience

Last edited:
I concur with Willy D, Thank you Dan and Glenn. I have been really looking forward to this release. Love your style Dan, I'm sure it will be great!

Thank you Dan and Glenn.

No doubt there are many here who are looking forward to buying their own copies.

I am also looking forward to seeing you guys on the Gettin' Salty Podcast, Monday evening 6/12, from 8:00 - 10:00 pm.

Here is the Gettin' Salty Podcast Series Link

www.youtube.com/@GettinSaltyExperience

I watched the Gettin' Salty Podcast with Dan and Glenn talking about the book.
They said it is a 12" x 12" book with 296 pages including many color, as well as black and white photos.
It consist of a total of 90 interviews, featuring FDNY members of those very busy "FDNY WAR YEARS FIREFIGHTERS" during the 1970s.

What I also found interesting is that they also interviewed the wife of one of the FDNY members who was lost in a LODD.
One thing that I didn't realize years ago is that it certainly takes a very special woman to be married to a firefighter.
They must adapt to a husband who will have to work on nights, weekends, and on holidays, often missing family gatherings.
But worst of all, one whose husband may never return home from their job.

Glenn also mentioned about a neighbor he lived near.
While most of his neighbors were doctors and lawyers, this one neighbor would need to rest as he walked from his car to his home.
He later found out why he needed to take those rest periods.
He was a firefighter in Lad 120 (?) or 103 (?) during those very busy years.

As Dan conducted those interviews he realized that the more interviews he did, he could have probably interviewed another 20 more guys who were mentioned by many of these FDNY WAR YEARS FIREFIGHTERS to tell their stories as well.

As Glenn talked of his buffing days on Intervale Ave at the quarters of Engine 82/Ladder 31, it also brought back many memories of when I too buffed that same location after the book "Report From Engine Co 82" was released in 1972 (?).
I no doubt chased the same fires that Glenn did, while a young guy named Dan Potter would ride with his uncle on Ladder 31.

In addition to that, Dan had mentioned that within the interviews several of those members brought up stories of historic fires, the beginning of HazMat, Tower Ladders, Bunker Gear, the Squads, ERS Boxes, the Lay Offs, etc.
So the book is also a history of the FDNY from those busy 1970s.

If you haven't seen the Gettin' Salty Video titled:
"Gettin' Salty Exp. Podcast EP 146, Authors Corner", it certainly is worth watching.
I'm guessing will be on the Gettin' Salty Podcast series within a day or so of the live podcast.

I would also add that Dan and Glenn are donating one half of their profits to four (4) separate FDNY Charities, one being the "Joey D Fund", another the "FDNY Transport Fund", as well as two others in support of the FDNY members.

Thank you to the Gettin' Salty Podcast Crew" and of course to Dan and Glenn for telling us about the book "They Saved New York".
I'll be placing my order today.
Most certainly it will become a Collectors Item among the fire service.

Last edited: