Dozens Killed, Hundreds Injured in India as 3 Trains Crash

In addition, my love of firefighting I have always had a great love for trains. India has a very old almost antiquated, rail system. The trains are so overcrowded that it is not uncommon for people to ride on the roof of passenger and freight trains. Many of the railroad right of ways run through densely populated areas with little or no barriers to prevent people from being hit by passing trains. In this case a derailed train was spread across an adjoining track and the derailed train was hit by another train passing the site of the derailment. In the old days when a train derailed or was stopped in an unexpected location a flagman was sent back far enough for another train approaching to be "Flagged" to a stop before it stuck the derailed or unexpected stopped train. What does this mean to firefighters? It means we must send two firefighters with road flares and lights far enough away from the derailed train, to positions both in rear and front of the train to warn any oncoming trains so they can stop in time. Yes, the railroad workers can also do this but if we sent radio equipped firefighters, to flag and warn oncoming trains we know, that it in fact has been done. Dispatcher notifying the railroad is also a MUST. A freight train traveling at 60 M.P.H. TAKES OVER A MILE TO COME TO A FULL STOP. Any light placed between the rails and a flag or light move side to side between the rails is a warning for the Engineer or Subway Motorman to apply the brakes. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

In addition, my love of firefighting I have always had a great love for trains. India has a very old almost antiquated, rail system. The trains are so overcrowded that it is not uncommon for people to ride on the roof of passenger and freight trains. Many of the railroad right of ways run through densely populated areas with little or no barriers to prevent people from being hit by passing trains. In this case a derailed train was spread across an adjoining track and the derailed train was hit by another train passing the site of the derailment. In the old days when a train derailed or was stopped in an unexpected location a flagman was sent back far enough for another train approaching to be "Flagged" to a stop before it stuck the derailed or unexpected stopped train. What does this mean to firefighters? It means we must send two firefighters with road flares and lights far enough away from the derailed train, to positions both in rear and front of the train to warn any oncoming trains so they can stop in time. Yes, the railroad workers can also do this but if we sent radio equipped firefighters, to flag and warn oncoming trains we know, that it in fact has been done. Dispatcher notifying the railroad is also a MUST. A freight train traveling at 60 M.P.H. TAKES OVER A MILE TO COME TO A FULL STOP. Any light placed between the rails and a flag or light move side to side between the rails is a warning for the Engineer or Subway Motorman to apply the brakes. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
My elderly neighbor was hit and killed by a freight train while in Florida with her husband. He was driving and he walked away. Her not so much. Some speculate he drove in front of the train intentionally.

My pops had an elaborate Lionel train set he built into a wall which would fold down in our basement. Alway likes those toys