Canada Wildfires/Smoke Conditions 6/6/23

I live in Monroe N.Y. in the Lower Hudson Valley. The smoke condition is the worst long term smoke problem I have ever seen in this area.
It is almost hard to believe that the fire is not near, and it is in fact coming from Western Canada. I have World Trade Center lung problems and the smoke is very irritating to me and a lot of others here in the Hudson Valley. Stay indoors brothers and sisters.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

I’m on Lake Erie in Ohio. We’ve had a LOT of haze for a week or two but no odor until the last day or so. It’s insane.

I’m from Alberta where some of this smoke is coming from. It’s a very early start to our wildfire season and I think it’s going to be a long summer. There is also a very major fire in the Halifax, Nova Scotia area, in our maritimes, our east coast.

Sorry

Up here in Western NY/Metro Buffalo it reeked like campfire all day yesterday, even worse today. If the wind forecast holds we are due to see a peak in the smoke conditions this afternoon/evening, then gradual moderation in conditions.

First time I've ever experienced something like this, Canada must really be burning good. Hopefully all the forest fire fighters stay safe out there.

Those Wildfires in Jackson Township, NJ ain't making the smoke any better in Essex County.

I’m from Alberta where some of this smoke is coming from. It’s a very early start to our wildfire season and I think it’s going to be a long summer. There is also a very major fire in the Halifax, Nova Scotia area, in our maritimes, our east coast.

Sorry
I guess those four strong winds not only blow lonely but also blow south.

This is a photo from yesterday afternoon in Flushing Meadows, Queens NY taken by a maintenance crew around 4 p.m. at Citifield, home of the NY Mets.

Attachments

• CITIFIELD SMOG.jpg
    CITIFIELD SMOG.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 12
It seems like every year or two the Gulf of Mexico is covered by smoke from fires in the Yucatan Penisula and Central America. A lot of this comes from "slash and burn" farming. It usually results in health warnings for a few days in the City as an amusing topic of the weather. Also, in the summer dust storms from the Sahara Desert create a few more days of haze. But it is never as bad as the East Coast is now.

In the local chemical plants the joke used to be: "Never trust air you can't see".

Finally, we had a clear day here in Binghamton (Tho' it turned Cloudy & Rainy
in the Afternoon - Still Better ! ;))
We hear tho' more Canadian Smoke may again be on the way Depending on
Weather Patterns... 😯

I had to dig through multiple Canadian news websites to find information on where exactly these fire are. I thought there was just one fire, but there are numerous across the country. I actually asked a friend of mine who lives east of Toronto a couple days ago if they were bothered by the fires and/or smoke and they said they didn't even know there were fires until I mentioned it.

I had to dig through multiple Canadian news websites to find information on where exactly these fire are. I thought there was just one fire, but there are numerous across the country. I actually asked a friend of mine who lives east of Toronto a couple days ago if they were bothered by the fires and/or smoke and they said they didn't even know there were fires until I mentioned it.

What rock are they living under?

my dept just organized a bunch of guys to head out tomorrow morning to back fill Yellowhead County AB as they have evacuated a lot of residents and they are busy with the multiple fires in the county, some threatening towns. We are back filling their station for the other calls

Nice and clear heads in GA saw a video of satellite footage showing numerous fires starting pretty much simultaneously, odd

Nice and clear heads in GA saw a video of satellite footage showing numerous fires starting pretty much simultaneously, odd
That video footage that had been floating around is visible satellite. The “explosion” of activity is just the sun coming up and illuminating the headers that were already there.