10-60 Signal

Hello everyone I have a couple questions about the 10-60, TIA for your replies!

Is a 10-60 ever assigned as the initial dispatch by dispatchers or is it only used by a chief after the initial response?

If a Major Collapse Matrix is the initial dispatch and then a 10-60 is transmitted is it a Full 10-60 or is it just adding units to "bump up" from a Major Collapse Matrix to a 10-60?

Thanks again

Doesn’t have to be a Chief giving the 10-60. If an Engine or Truck arrives on scene and is by themselves, THEY are the incident commander and can give a 10-60.

The signal isn’t given until units arrive and assess the situation. Maybe the dispatcher can load the box, but any collapse response is getting the matrix anyway. There’s a minor matrix and a bigger matrix, depending on dispatcher’s discretion on phone calls.

Not sure off top of my head the exact units given which would be different from the full matrix vs the 10-60 signal, but probably logistical vehicles like the TAC, SOC Compressor, and Vacuum Truck get assigned on the 10-60

Per Frank Raffa on fdnewyork.com (he doesn't list the minor matrix):

10-60 Major Emergency Response (e.g. collapse of a private dwelling, derailment of a subway car)
5 Engine Companies
3 Ladder Companies
4 Battalion Chiefs
1 Deputy Chief
1 FAST Unit
1 Rescue Task Force - which includes 1 Rescue Co., 1 Collapse Rescue, 1 Squad Co. w 2nd Piece
1 SOC Support Ladder (When a Collapse Rescue is transported by a SSL, no additional SSL is required)
1 Haz-Tac Officer
1 Rescue Paramedic Unit
1 Additional Rescue Co.
Rescue Battalion
Safety Battalion
1 Tactical Support Unit
SOC Logistics Support Unit
SOC Compressor Unit
Con Edison Vacuum Truck
Haz-Mat Battalion
Haz-Mat Company #1
Haz-Mat Technician Engine Company
Communication Unit
Field Communications Unit
Recuperation and Care (RAC) Unit
Public Information Officer

10-60 Code 1 Major Emergency Response - Enhanced 2nd Alarm - 10-60 assignment plus:
2nd Alarm if not transmitted prior to the 10-60 Code 1
5 Additional Engine companies
3 Additional Ladder Companies
2 Additional Battalion Chief's
1 Additional Deputy Chief
1 Additional Rescue Task Force
1 Air Recon Chief
1 Satellite Unit
1 SOC Dewatering Unit
Mobile Command Center
1 EMS Division Chief
1 EMS Deputy Chief
2 EMS Conditions Officers
1 OMA Response Physician
1 Haz-Tac Officer
1 Logistical Support Unit (LSU)
1 ALS Ambulance
2 BLS Ambulances
1 Rescue Paramedic Unit
1 Major Emergency Response Vehicle (MERV)
1 Mobile Respiratory Treatment Unit (MRTU)

Adding to the above, I'd also be interested to learn what the difference is between the major technical matrix and the 10-60 response. Also, I think the minor technical matrix is simply adding Rescue, Squad, Tac, RB and SB to the box, is that correct? Maybe also an SSL? Thanks

If the answers arent here let me know

If the answers arent here let me know

Thanks for that link Signal73 but I do not see much in there that relates to 10-60, maybe I missed it
I got my answer about if the 10-60 is ever given as the initial response which sounds like no it is not. But still unsure about if a 10-60 is transmitted by IC if it brings the response (say of a major collapse matrix response) up to a 10-60 or if it is a full 10-60 response. I believe the Major Matrix has the response of 2 rescue companies, the closest with their Collapse Rescue unit also, a 10-60 also calls for the response of 2 rescue companies and a collapse rescue. So my question is if the Major Matrix is the initial dispatch and then a 10-60 is transmitted is that just an upgrade or would there be a total of 4 rescue companies and 2 collapse rescues dispatched.
Sorry if that is confusing to read

Adding to the above, I'd also be interested to learn what the difference is between the major technical matrix and the 10-60 response. Also, I think the minor technical matrix is simply adding Rescue, Squad, Tac, RB and SB to the box, is that correct? Maybe also an SSL? Thanks
No more SSL

Thanks for that link Signal73 but I do not see much in there that relates to 10-60, maybe I missed it
I got my answer about if the 10-60 is ever given as the initial response which sounds like no it is not. But still unsure about if a 10-60 is transmitted by IC if it brings the response (say of a major collapse matrix response) up to a 10-60 or if it is a full 10-60 response. I believe the Major Matrix has the response of 2 rescue companies, the closest with their Collapse Rescue unit also, a 10-60 also calls for the response of 2 rescue companies and a collapse rescue. So my question is if the Major Matrix is the initial dispatch and then a 10-60 is transmitted is that just an upgrade or would there be a total of 4 rescue companies and 2 collapse rescues dispatched.
Sorry if that is confusing to read
No, it’s not given as the innitial response, it’s an escalation signal transmitted by a unit on scene or the incident commander

The 10-60 brings the balance of the response

So if the major goes out, and a 60 no code gets transmitted that will bring
2 more engines (total 5)
2 more trucks(1 Fast)(total 4)
3 BC’s (2nd RUL,3rd Safety) (total 4)
1 DC
1 communications unit engine
1 RAC and the RAC manager

The 60 code-1 is the enhanced 2nd alarm

The minor matrix gets
1 engine.
1 ladder
1 BC
1 Rescue
1 squad
1 tactical support unit
Rescue batt
Safety batt.

No, it’s not given as the innitial response, it’s an escalation signal transmitted by a unit on scene or the incident commander

The 10-60 brings the balance of the response

So if the major goes out, and a 60 no code gets transmitted that will bring
2 more engines (total 5)
2 more trucks(1 Fast)(total 4)
3 BC’s (2nd RUL,3rd Safety) (total 4)
1 DC
1 communications unit engine
1 RAC and the RAC manager

The 60 code-1 is the enhanced 2nd alarm

The minor matrix gets
1 engine.
1 ladder
1 BC
1 Rescue
1 squad
1 tactical support unit
Rescue batt
Safety batt.
Thank you!

The second sentence (in bold) on the 10-60 - Code 1 confuses me. I’m not sure how to interpret it:

10-60 Code 1 Major Emergency Response - Enhanced 2nd Alarm - 10-60 assignment plus:

The second sentence (in bold) on the 10-60 - Code 1 confuses me. I’m not sure how to interpret it:

I believe it means that if the evolution is something like 3&2 or the Major Matrix, then a 10-60 code 1 is transmitted, a second alarm is also transmitted.

I believe it means that if the evolution is something like 3&2 or the Major Matrix, then a 10-60 code 1 is transmitted, a second alarm is also transmitted.
That’s the way I read it. So they’d be sending an additional 4E & 2L. Everything else from a second alarm has been call for or will be called for on the 10-60 - Code 1.

So would the 10-60 - Code 1 really be getting 9 Engines & 5 Ladders?

That’s the way I read it. So they’d be sending an additional 4E & 2L. Everything else from a second alarm has been call for or will be called for on the 10-60 - Code 1.

So would the 10-60 - Code 1 really be getting 9 Engines & 5 Ladders?
The 10-60 code 1 is an enhanced 2nd alarm. So on top of the 60 no code it brings

> 5 Engine Companies (Total 10)

3 Ladder Companies (Total 7)

• 2 Battalion Chiefs (Total 6)
    (5th due is Designated at the discretion of Incident Commander;
    6th due is Staging Area Manager)
  • 1 Deputy Chief (Total 2)
  • 1 Additional Technical Rescue Task Force (Total 2) (1 Rescue Collapse Unit and Transport company to fulfill)
SOC Dewatering Unit

1 Satellite Unit with Associated Engine Company

• 1 Mobile Command Unit and associated Engine Company

Air Recon Chief

Per Frank Raffa on fdnewyork.com (he doesn't list the minor matrix):

10-60 Major Emergency Response (e.g. collapse of a private dwelling, derailment of a subway car)
5 Engine Companies
3 Ladder Companies
4 Battalion Chiefs
1 Deputy Chief
1 FAST Unit
1 Rescue Task Force - which includes 1 Rescue Co., 1 Collapse Rescue, 1 Squad Co. w 2nd Piece
1 SOC Support Ladder (When a Collapse Rescue is transported by a SSL, no additional SSL is required)
1 Haz-Tac Officer
1 Rescue Paramedic Unit
1 Additional Rescue Co.
Rescue Battalion
Safety Battalion
1 Tactical Support Unit
SOC Logistics Support Unit
SOC Compressor Unit
Con Edison Vacuum Truck
Haz-Mat Battalion
Haz-Mat Company #1
Haz-Mat Technician Engine Company
Communication Unit
Field Communications Unit
Recuperation and Care (RAC) Unit
Public Information Officer

5 Additional Engine companies
3 Additional Ladder Companies
2 Additional Battalion Chief's
1 Additional Deputy Chief
1 Additional Rescue Task Force
1 Air Recon Chief
1 Satellite Unit
1 SOC Dewatering Unit
Mobile Command Center
1 EMS Division Chief
1 EMS Deputy Chief
2 EMS Conditions Officers
1 OMA Response Physician
1 Haz-Tac Officer
1 Logistical Support Unit (LSU)
1 ALS Ambulance
2 BLS Ambulances
1 Rescue Paramedic Unit
1 Major Emergency Response Vehicle (MERV)
1 Mobile Respiratory Treatment Unit (MRTU)
I thought the Air Recon Chief only goes on Brooklyn Boxes

I thought the Air Recon Chief only goes on Brooklyn Boxes
And on 3d Alarms and higher. The reason for the "on Brooklyn Boxes" is that it's almost always a Chief from Brooklyn that responds, and he heads to Floyd Bennet Field to meet the NYPD helicopter.