12/5/09 Staten Island Boxes 589 and 355 - Unusual incident

West Brighton, Staten Island, NY, 12/5/09

5-7-signal Box 589 - Report of an auto extrication @ Forest Ave and Mundy Ave
E156, TL79
Battalion 22, Rescue 5 S/C

00:44 hours
E156: We have 3 car MVA involving one NYPD RMP and two civilian vehicles, we have 1 pin, L79 is putting the Hurst Tool to work.

00:46 hours
Battalion 22: L79 is removing 1 victim with the Hurst Tool.   Have Rescue continue in.

00:47 hours
SI requesting to know if Rescue 5 can be released, another reported Pin job coming in.

00:47 hours
BC22: We can release Rescue.

00:48 hours
5-7-signal Box 355 - Report of a pin job involving NYPD ESU @ Forest Ave and Bement Ave
E155, L78
Battalion 22, Rescue 5 S/C

00:51 hours
Battalion 22 is unable to respond, blocked in by traffic

00:52 hours
EMS reports a confirmed pin

00:54 hours
Rescue 5: We're 10-84, we do have an accident involving the large ESU 5 truck and a car.

00:55 hours
Rescue 5 reports a confirmed pin, Hurst tool in operation.  Battalion 22 is now able to respond.

00:59 hours
BC22: We're using the Rescue, E155, L78.  Rescue's got the tool in operation removing an occupant from a car.

01:02 hours
BC22: Occupant has been removed from the vehicle, being treated by EMS.

Wow two MVA's involving NYPD vehicles and both needing extrications. Yikes! Is that second one involving the big Mack truck that ESU 5 has or is it one of their Ford ERV's? Also, was the second heading to the scene of the first one? Both scenes are less than a mile from each other.

See my post on the latest Brooklyn 2nd alarm.  Another example of acronym fever.

ERV:  Emergency Response Vehicle  (i.e. the ESU {argh, another acronym} guys.
RMP:  Radio Motor Patrol

raybrag said:
See my post on the latest Brooklyn 2nd alarm.  Another example of acronym fever.

ERV:  Emergency Response Vehicle  (i.e. the ESU {argh, another acronym} guys.
RMP:  Radio Motor Patrol

Thanks raybrag.  Radio Motor Patrol is that a police car??????

Thank you catry for that post. It's nice to see other run cards other than fires. Gives brother's not working in the City, a chance to get a understanding on FDNY response's to other incidents. Thanks

Len90 said:
Wow two MVA's involving NYPD vehicles and both needing extrications. Yikes! Is that second one involving the big Mack truck that ESU 5 has or is it one of their Ford ERV's? Also, was the second heading to the scene of the first one? Both scenes are less than a mile from each other.

I believe Rescue 5 reported it to be the large Mack truck.  My guess is it was most likely responding to the first MVA.

kfd274 said:
raybrag said:
See my post on the latest Brooklyn 2nd alarm.  Another example of acronym fever.

ERV:  Emergency Response Vehicle  (i.e. the ESU {argh, another acronym} guys.
RMP:  Radio Motor Patrol

Thanks raybrag.  Radio Motor Patrol is that a police car??????

Yup, RMP is just the fancy term NYPD gives it patrol cars...

RMP is actually a holdover from the 1930's, when radio-equipped patrol cars became commonplace.  Before that, they were just "MP" units (i.e. motor patrol, to distinguish them from foot patrol or even horse mounted patrol).  Foot patrol was the most common then (remember the expression "the cop on the beat?). I wonder how many foot patrol beats there are in NYC now?

I actually never heard of it as an RMP till I got on the job. I always referred to them like my father did as a radio car.

raybrag said:
RMP is actually a holdover from the 1930's, when radio-equipped patrol cars became commonplace.  Before that, they were just "MP" units (i.e. motor patrol, to distinguish them from foot patrol or even horse mounted patrol).  Foot patrol was the most common then (remember the expression "the cop on the beat?). I wonder how many foot patrol beats there are in NYC now?

There are still enough that I see around Brooklyn.

As for the accident. I can't find any coverage on it on any site.