1990 FDNY Ladder 49

Went to a junk yard in Belchertown Ma today for some parts, as I pulled into the complex I saw the old 90's ladder 49 with pin stripe and all, it looks horrible now but when I went into the junk yard I asked who owned it and it was someone to do with the lumber yard and they told me the truck came as it is now, missing windows and rusted straight from ground zero, I know most of the damage is probably from sitting there, but does anyone know if 49 had the 90 or 01? I'm just personally curious, as soon as I get to my lap top I'll try to post some pictures

My overall end question is does anyone know if the 90 or 2001 responded to ground 0. Sorry for the confusion.

There were four 110' Rear-Mounts the FDNY purchased between '89 and '90: 4, 38, 49, and 165.

4 and 165 in 1989, then 38 and 49 in 1990

BCR

Not to thread high jack but were those Heavy duty 110' ladders ever special called or used for. specific purpose besides running as a normal truck ? I imagine the extra 10 feet wasn't worth the extra length and extra set of stabilizers to find room for to set up. But being a heavy duty stick I am guessing it had a much heavier rated tip load, I am guessing that these trucks had to be around 750 lbs maybe more compared to a normal ladder at 250 lbs

I am sure Ladder 49 was assigned to Ground Zero, every company in FDNY was assigned at one point or another.

I know of one run where 4 truck was special called to a high angle incident in Harlem with the 110ft. 
I think these were 500lbs tip loads

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
If the Harlem incident is the one I am thinking of. 
They lowered  person to the tip of the aerial and then climbed down.
Some people reviewing it years later, thought that It might have been safer to lower the person all the way to the ground (if rope was long enough).  Reason being is that the member climbing the aerial is not secured during the process. Members on the rope are tied off with ropes and safety lines.

tbendick said:
If the Harlem incident is the one I am thinking of. 
They lowered  person to the tip of the aerial and then climbed down.
Some people reviewing it years later, thought that It might have been safer to lower the person all the way to the ground (if rope was long enough).  Reason being is that the member climbing the aerial is not secured during the process. Members on the rope are tied off with ropes and safety lines.

I was working and responded to that incident. I'm not sure why Ladder 4 ended up at the incident, there was no need for a 110' aerial. As you mentioned, it would have been better to allow the firefighter to be lowered to the ground with his victim. Lowering them to the aerial created a hindrance to the operation.