8/23/11 Citywide - Earthquake

13:55 hours - NYPD SOD and FD receiving numerous calls for buildings shaking, stuck elevators, structural collapses, and other similar calls

13:56 hours - Brooklyn 5-7-signal Box 2284 - 120 East 86 st for a b uilding shaking

13:56 hours - L102 gives verbal box 363 for possible elevator collapse

13:57 hours - NYPD calling Level 1 mobilisation in the 114 precinct base

14:00 hours - Numerous verbal alarms for units flagged down for buildings shaking

14:01 hours - ESU Portable reports subway being evacuated at 36 st and Northern Blvd

14:02 hours - L109 reports they had shaking in the firehouse.  Brooklyn

14:03 hours - Brooklyn is in Fallback Step III

14:08 hours - E205 reports numerous buildings in the area have self-evacuated.

14:14 hours - NYPD SOD requesting all units give their location when possible due to numerous calls in backlog.

14:19 hours - NYPD Operations calling Level 1 Mobilisation for 1 Police Plaza personnel to respond to South St Seaport.

14:25 hours - Numerous boxes Citywide for buildings with cracks or other damage as well as class 3 alarms triggered.  Multiple 10-31s and 10-92s.

14:31 hours - PD ESU, PAPD, and MTA PD conducting inspections of city's bridges and tunnels.

14:47 hours - Battalion 32 informed that Dept. of Buildings is not available for immediate response because they've evacuated their building.

USGS reports Magnitude 5.8 earthquake centered in Virginia

So is the bronx , and there was something in the bronx this morning that 59 truck was firt due for a partial roof collapse maybe anything to do with it

mack

Administrator
DC/Virginia - Floors/walls shook - everyone evacuated buildings - buildings lost power - government sent home - NO ONE ABLE TO USE CELL PHONES FOR ALMOST 45 MINUTES - system overloaded with calls.  Nice to think that fire alarm boxes used to be available.

Rattled windows here in SE Virginia at about 1:52 PM . . . but no damage.  Nowhere close to the strongest I've ever felt (on Guam, in Japan, and when I lived in Riverside, CA).

raybrag said:
Rattled windows here in SE Virginia at about 1:52 PM . . . but no damage.  Nowhere close to the strongest I've ever felt (on Guam, in Japan, and when I lived in Riverside, CA).

Was in New roc when this happened didnt feel a hing and since i was scanning new rochelle fire department didnt hear any nyc traffic. Did anyone happen to have recordered any radio traffic it will be intresting to hear.

I was listening in to Manhattan and I don't recall ever hearing it so busy. Anyone happen to know the number of alarm boxes the FDNY responded to as a result of the earthquake?

I was playing golf in SE CT; perhaps that is why one of my putts didn't go in the hole.  LOL

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
If you sign up for a premium account on radioreference you can get audio archives of all the fdny feeds.

tbendick said:
If you sign up for a premium account on radioreference you can get audio archives of all the fdny feeds.

Ahh ok i might still have a account not sure if it expired.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=8535
This would be the link for manhattan. on that page you will see a icon for audio archives. You have to be a paid member of RR to use this feature.

Side note if you use the paid version of scanner radio on the droid you can access the archives from inside the app.
So if you  missed something and want to quickly get caught up, which I did with the 10-66. Was able to go back and figure out what was happing.

Thanks for the help, its weird i could find the link by clicking on the icon i had to manually search for it on google.