99 Wooster Street

99 Wooster Street was originally a volunteer house built around 1850. It was subsequently the quarters of Engine Company 13 until they moved in with Ladder 20 at 155 Mercer Street (and then to 251 Lafayette Street with 20 Truck until disbanded on 12/16/1974). 99 Wooster Street was occupied by the Gay Activists Alliance Firehouse from 1971 to 1974. They were burned out by an arson fire in October, 1974. It was designated a NYC Landmark and has been nominated to the National Register of Historic Places (for the above LGBTQ+ activities). Is this building occupied? Is its' fire department history going to be noted? How many NYC firehouses are on the National Register of Historic Places?

Not sure if this fits the bill since it was a Fire Patrol FH but Anderson Cooper‘s residence has Landmark Status. The Wooster Street address has a retail space for lease sign in the window. IMG_0112.pngIMG_0113.png

Last edited:
I know they are not on the National Registry of Historic Places but they should be. I’m sure there are more. Hope it’s a start.

Those are all wonderful emblems of the guardians of society. 99 Wooster is on the list for something "different".

I was the Captain of Engine 26 located a 220 West 37th Street between 7 & 8 Aves, Garment District/Times Square area, Midtown Manhattan.
I was told that E-26s firehouse was and is the oldest active firehouse in FDNY, and it was Built in 1860. From time to time, I had to have exterminators come and trap the BATS that were in the top of the Hose Tower. Not only that but the surrounding dark taller buildings in the rear of the firehouse looked like "Gotham City" I am proud to say that for 8 great years I was Captain/Company Commander, of the "BAT CAVE"
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retiredBat Man in Qtrs E-26.jpgE-26 member IFO Qtrs. 1998.jpg

Hey Cap. Here’s a photo of your house taken in the 1940’s. Looks like shirt, tie and cap was the dress code of the day.IMG_0138.png

I never have seen this picture before. I would love to see a photo of the rig inside the apparatus door. When I became Captain of Engine 26 in 1992, the firehouse looked just like this. The members may have had uniform shirts and ties on, because back then you went out on Building Inspection Duty, or a lot of other duty's you were required to wear your uniform jacket with a tie and a unform hat. I remember hearing from a Battalion Chief in the old 5th Battalion, when I was a Proby in Engine 27, that he had better not catch me on "Housewatch" without a uniform jacket and tie, plus my name plate on the name plate holder at the Housewatch desk. Plus, to make sure I had Black socks and Black dress shoes.
No tee-shirts and short back then even in July.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

According to the newspaper, a condo on the top of an eight story loft building at 151 Wooster Street just sold for $50 million. This is one block up across Prince Street from 99 Wooster Street.