Alarm/callout codes for FDNY Squad Company?

What would the structure and detail be for a Squad Company (let's say Squad Co 1) being called out to a high rise multiple dwelling fire?

77-75-box number?

Or does it get more detailed than that, like "Squad 1-8-75-box number"?

Does the 10-77 classification also go out in that call?

Please school the hell out of me on this. If you know exactly how this situation would broadcast over dispatch, I'd love to know. I'm on a writing assignment and trying to be as accurate as possible in the tech details.

Thanks, guys.

In the regulations, on the old telegraph circuits preliminary signal 9 was used for special units such as thawing units, searchlights, fuel trucks, and bridge units. Rescue companies used preliminary signal 10. Firefighting squads do not appear on the books. My guess is that squads are management fads that come and go over the years and would respond on a written order of the day.
In Chicago, squads usually self dispatched (like the truck, chief, and salvage) following an engine company "stilled out" by the Office.

If memory serves me, Squads were assigned the telegraph preliminary "8".

A special call within the squad's borough would have been transmitted as 8-1645-4 (Brooklyn Squad 4 to Brooklyn box 1645).

I think if a squad was being special called to another borough it would have been transmitted as 66-8-465-3 (Brooklyn Squad 3 to Manhattan box 465).

With voice capability, I assume the box/assignment would be broadcast verbally such as "Squad 4 respond to box 1645" or "Squad 3 respond to Manhattan box 465.

mack

Administrator
Telegraph alarm signals (bells and alarm boxes) - I believe this was pre-squad days (see water tower, airport crash, bridge chemical units, etc).

The Bells - Telegraph Alarm System - Preliminary Signals.png

mack

Administrator
Note 1950s assignment card for Manhattan box. Squad 1 was assigned on 1st alarm when box was transmitted. Rescue 3 was assigned on 2nd alarm. Squads were initially manpower units when originally organized. They were not SOC units and responded at first, in modified hose wagons, then small trucks or vans, then pumpers.

ac.gif

mack

Administrator
In the regulations, on the old telegraph circuits preliminary signal 9 was used for special units such as thawing units, searchlights, fuel trucks, and bridge units. Rescue companies used preliminary signal 10. Firefighting squads do not appear on the books. My guess is that squads are management fads that come and go over the years and would respond on a written order of the day.
In Chicago, squads usually self dispatched (like the truck, chief, and salvage) following an engine company "stilled out" by the Office.

1940s WWII era manpower squad - signal: 9-box-sq unit number

Squad 24.jpg

mack

Administrator
From late 1960-early 1970s FDNY squads were the busiest companies in the department. They were assigned as manpower units to all boxes in a geographical area within their division.

R&W 1967.jpg
R&W 1969.jpg

R&W 1970.jpg

R&W 1971.jpg

I agree. On the running cards, squads were listed on the special unit column. The Regulations that I consulted didn't have squads on the telegraph section for special units; preliminary signal 9. The relevant terminal signals used by squads (1-6) were assigned to water towers and later given to thawing units. As noted, preliminary signal 8 related to operation of the high pressure pumping systems in Manhattan and Brooklyn. When those systems were taken out of service on June 29, 1953, the preliminary signal 8 became an orphan, available to be used in the future for squads.

mack

Administrator
I agree. On the running cards, squads were listed on the special unit column. The Regulations that I consulted didn't have squads on the telegraph section for special units; preliminary signal 9. The relevant terminal signals used by squads (1-6) were assigned to water towers and later given to thawing units. As noted, preliminary signal 8 related to operation of the high pressure pumping systems in Manhattan and Brooklyn. When those systems were taken out of service on June 29, 1953, the preliminary signal 8 became an orphan, available to be used in the future for squads.
The high-pressure systems lasted well into the 1970s. CI's hi pressure system would be turned on at the Brooklyn Dispatcher discretion or by request of units if not already turned on. I think it was late 1970s when the hi pressure systems were shut down for good,

mack

Administrator
Sorry this thread got off track - it is about FDNY squads and hi-rise response signals. I believe the original question requests an explanation of hi-rise building fire assignments.

mack

Administrator

This might be helpful to the member who started the thread asking about a 10-77 and a squad assignment. This is a recent rundown from a Manhattan fire on 6/14/22, Note Squad 18 was assigned. Similar 10-77 boxes and 10-75 boxes can be found in the Incident Sections to see squad assignments.​

6/14/22 Manhattan All Hands 10-77 Box 0716​

Park Ave. off East 34th St.

Fire in the basement of a 20 story 50x180 class 1 MD

B-8: Transmit a 10-77 - Fire in the basement - 23:13

L-3 FAST, E-8 HRN, E-14 CFR, B-6 Safety, E-33 w/ HR-1

B-8: All Hands - 1 L/S/O - Water on the fire - 23:18

D-1: 2 L/S, 1 L/O - PWH - 23:28

D-1: Under Control - 23:53

Duration: 51 Min.

Maybe:
E-21, 16, 65, 1, 8N, 14C
L-7, 2, 3F, 4, 12, 24
B-8, 7, 9, 6S
R-1
SQ-18
D-1
FC, RB, SB
E-33 w/ HR-1
RAC-1

*other activity in the area, E-1 & L-24 became avail. & assigned on the 10-77

Relocations:
E-76 to E-1
E-59 to E-21
L-5 to L-4
L-136 to L-2
L-115 to L-7

The high-pressure systems lasted well into the 1970s. CI's hi pressure system would be turned on at the Brooklyn Dispatcher discretion or by request of units if not already turned on. I think it was late 1970s when the hi pressure systems were shut down for good,

In the book "FDNY The Fire Buff's Handbook of The New York Fire Department 1900-1975" by Gus Johnson, page 173, " On June 29, 1953 the high pressure systems in Manhattan and Brooklyn were taken out of service.".

Thanks, guys. This is amazing info.

For the sake of not confusing the general public, should I just make it as simple as the Squad Officer saying "We've got a 10-77 at box XXXX" to the crew, or maybe a broadcast with "Squad 4 respond to a 10-77 at box XXXX?

Is that likely how it would go down in a real life scenario? I don't want to do the long string of technical numbers if, in the real world, it's likely to be more casual over the radio or coming from the Officer.

Also, where can I find a list of box codes? I'm looking for one in Downtown Brooklyn that has high rise apartments.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass. This info is really helpful. Thanks again.