CHIEF OF DEPARTMENT

Does anyone know how the new chief is appointed?    Is it the Commissioners decision?  Is the Mayor involved?

bklyndisp54 said:
Chief of Dep't. is filled by a civil service exam.  All Deputy's are eligible to compete.   

No more civil service promotional exam. UFOA sold it for a contract credit. Chief of Dept. is an appointed rank.

OK.  Sorry for the stale information.  And I'm sorry to hear that bad news.  Politics raises it's ugly head once again.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Probably a good thing since the COD has to handle more political problems than he does fires.  Just because someone does good on a civil service exam doesn't mean that would be a good Chief of Department, especially in New York.

I had always heard "rumors" that the deck was stacked...or the results somehow rigged...viz. the old COD tests.  Something to do with a 'verbal' or 'interview' portion of the exam.  If that was so, then I'd agree that we may be no better off now than we were then.

The Chief of Department used to be chosen from the top three on the civil service list. That gave the city some ability to choose the candidate that they felt would best do their bidding. If it happened that none of the top three were the type who would allow the mayor to intimidate them into not acting in the best interest of the safety of the public as well as the firefighters, then none would be appointed permanently. A temporary Chief would be named and then he would be removed before his probationary period was up. This would keep the Chief from becoming permanent. Basically the city wants a puppet in this role. 

If I remember right, can't the mayor ask the COD to serve in both roles? I know it's happened before in the 30's (John J. McElligott) and 70's (John T. O'Hagen).

Dept. Order 1 dated 01/05 has Cassano listed both as FC & COD as By Order Of.

Nobody wants to be Chief Of Dept. because they do not want to be remembered as the guy at the helm when the city disbanded 15-20 companies.

S

SFD RS1 N RS2

Where did you hear of the FDNY disbanding 15-20 companies?? :'( ::) ??? :eek: ??? :mad:

Congratulations to Chief Kilduff.  Flushing gives the FDNY another Chief of Department.

Car 7 to Car 3!

I have only heard good this about the gentleman who was chosen to lead the Department. He comes at a very difficult time when the mayor is trying to dismantle F.D.N.Y. I believe he will do his best to protect the Firefighters and the public. I wish him well.