E 33 Funny Story

I walked into E33/TL9 at The Bowery "U", Manhattan, one night, back in the late 90's. I wanted to see if they had any T-shirts for sale. There were about 3 or 4 guys sitting in Housewatch (to the left of the apparatus, looking in the firehouse) watching the Yanks-A's divisional playoff game. The Lt. from the Engine asked where I was from, I said "Los Angeles". As one of the guys went to fetch me a shirt, the alarm tone went off. Housewatch yelled "Everybody goes!" The Lt. says to me: "You wanna go with us?" I said, "Uh, sure!" Next thing I know, I'm sitting backwards in E-33 tearing off down the street, sirens going, horns blaring, and the Ladder right behind. The Lt. was yelling "Second Due, Apartment, 15th floor!" prior to us pulling up to the fire. When we pulled up, I could see Ladder 3, Ladder 8, Engine 24 & 55 and a BC's car. The officer told me:" You stick with the chauffeur, 'til we get back." I did what I was told. There was a small kitchen fire in a unit on the 15th floor, which was put out pretty fast. The Battalion Chief I was standing next to told everyone but 2 companies to "Take up" and return to service. E-33's crew came down the stairs and we got back in the rig, and headed back to the firehouse. On the way back, they asked me "How long you been a fire-fighter in LA?" I replied:
"I'm not a fire-fighter; I'm an airline pilot. All I wanted was to buy a shirt." They laughed and said "We thought you was....oh, never mind."

I often wondered, after seeing the fatal casualties suffered by E33/L9 on 9-11, how many of those great guys I met that night lost their lives. May all 343 Rest in Peace.

Got to say the story gave me a laugh.  I was at E33/TL9 in November 2008 and the guys were great very friendly.  I had a bite of lunch with them and we had a bit of a swap with patches and t-shirts.

Heres a question is that firehouse not 1 of the best you have every seen?

I have been there. Got a good friend that works there. I just love the station. I believe the building was built in 1898. If you look at the plate between the bays outside it said the chief at that time was Hugh Bonner of course they call him huge boner.They have a basket ball court/vollyball court on the top floor where the hay loft was once was.They even have a room on the second floor where the chief's family would stay back in the day.
I know they lost 10 guys on 9/11.
I do have some pics of the station on my flicker but not sure how to post them on this site

Last edited by a moderator: