Family Members OTJ Around The Word

Thank you Brad for posting this photo and "Johnd248" has every right to be proud of his son.

The Fairfield, Ct Fire Dept is a very busy and progressive fire dept., located about 50 miles outside of New York City along the busy I-95 and Route 15 (Merritt Parkway).

As the title to this topic states: "Family Members OTJ Around The World", there are many members on this site that have sons or daughters, in laws, nieces, or nephews, or other relatives who are on either the Fire Department, Police Department, working EMS, Dispatchers, and of course Serving Our Country in the U.S. Military.

If so, you certainly have every right to be very proud of them for the job they do.

So, if at all possible, let us know about them and perhaps share a picture of them right here as well.

I know in some cases, because of the type of work they do, you may NOT be able to give specific details to us, such as maybe police or military members.
But maybe you can just share with us the organization they work for.

I hope that you will be able to join in here if you have a family member or a close relative who fits into the above job categories

Thanks, Willy D. I have been a volunteer at different levels and responsibilities for over fifty years. My son was a volunteer in Fairfield as I was and then he took the test and got on the job.

Yes John, we were both volunteer firefighters, as well as my brother George during the same time frame.
Needless to say we all had some great times as Volunteers back there in the 1970s

Your son being a career Fire Lt there now is a credit to your upbringing of him and I am sure today he is a Role Model for others

“Johnny D”, aka “Johnd248”, I hope to pass on here the story of My Role Model, as well as my brother, George, aka “georged4997”, who you know from our younger days in Fairfield at Engine 3, and years later a Retired Battalion Chief in a very busy fire department during his time.

Of course I will be asking for help from Brad, “signal 73” once again.

I would like to tell you the story of my father, and my brother (aka "georged4997"), both who served on the Bridgeport, Ct Fire Dept., and who I AM VERY PROUD OF.

On this site, there is a thread called: "The Other War Years"
In that topic we had members post some of their own stories, and yes, my brother George, aka "georged4997", also posted there, page 2, reply # 38. as he told a story about being on the job in that city and responding to one of the FIVE (?) Worst Housing Projects in the Country at the time called; "Father Panik Village", which has since been torn down and no longer exist.
Here is that link.

www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/the-other-war-years.5964/

In addition, there is a section where the "L'Ambiance Plaza Collapse" is talked about on pages 6/7.
That was the collapse of a high rise building under construction killing 28 construction workers, which took place in April, 1987.
To this day, that is the Worst Construction Accident in the State of Connecticut.
My brother was on the first due Ladder Co that responded, as a newly promoted Lt.
That collapse brought in US&R units from the FDNY, Dade County, Fla., and Fairfax, Va., when those units were in the early stages of forming.

There is also a thread titled; "Role Model" in which members talked of their Role Models they had, and I wrote about "MY" Role Model, my father who had been a Combat Medic during World War II.
He was also on the job in Bridgeport, Ct and he received the Bridgeport Fire Departments Highest Medal, "The Gold Star" in recognition for saving the life of an individual trapped on the second floor in a locked bathroom.

That story is also on this site called; "Role Model" in the "General Discussion" area.
But I tried to add the link and for some reason, it did NOT work.
However, the story CAN be found if you go to "search" (upper right corner) and type in "Role Model", then click on the small box that says, "search title only".

Thank you for taking the time to read the story of my father and my brother, both who "I AM VERY PROUD OF"

Thank you once again Brad.

In the TOP Photo is a picture of my father and next to his picture is the newspaper article when he was given the Bridgeport Fire Departments Highest Medal, "The Gold Star" for the rescue of a civilian trapped in a fire on Fulton St, off Main St in that city.

The Middle Photo was taken from a buff buddy of mine when my brother George was a Captain assigned to Engine 10, then located along with Truck 10 in an old single bay firehouse on Putnam St off East Main St, similar to FDNYs old firehouse with Engine 277/Ladder 112 in Bushwick.
At the time Engine/Truck 10 were very busy companies responding to many car fires, rubbish fires, and building fires in the area.

The bottom photo is when my brother was a Battalion Chief assigned to Battalion 2 on the east side operating out of the quarters of Engine/Ladder 6, on Central Ave near Connecticut Ave.