mack

Administrator

FDNY Line of Duty Deaths

February 3, 1989 - LODD
Firefighter John P. Devaney, 36
Ladder 131
FDNY. Red Hook - Brooklyn, New York

_nc_ohc=0g4SPAcAT88AX8q-y-g&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg

On arrival, firefighters found heavy fire and smoke showing from the second floor of an occupied, four-story brick tenement at 217 Van Brunt Street, with people trapped. As the outside vent man, Firefighter Devaney climbed the fire escape and entered a third floor window to search for possible trapped occupants. Shortly after he went in the window, the room flashed over, knocking him down and engulfing the in flames. He was found lying in a fetal position, critically burned, with his boots burnt off. All attempts to revive him proved futile and he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

RIP. Never forget.

Posted 2/3/2021 by Chief K

CONTINUED REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....The following is a Tribute to FF JOHN P. DEVANEY LAD*131 Who made The Supreme Sacrifice at a Second Alarm at Box 3803 217 Van Brunt St BKLYN NY written by his Friend & Fellow LAD*131 FF John T. Seiler..... QUOTE...

I’d like to pay homage, tribute, and respect to a fellow New York City firefighter and friend killed in the line of duty 32 years ago Today 2/3/1989 Firefighter John P. DEVANEY Ladder Company 131 Brooklyn Redhook New York. This tour started out as any regular Tour in any firehouse throughout New York City. Our officer LT. Carroll gave our positions for the tour. Our most professional Experienced chauffeur one of the best ole time driver,ole days great senior firemen,CHARLIE MIGAN REST IN PEACE,was going to be on overtime that night so as custom JOHN gave the seat of the truck to Charlie to drive. Big DAVE had the roof,JOHN the outside vent man,and TOMMY the irons,and I the can part of the forcible entry team with tommy. The night was one of the coldest of the year. We we’re getting ready to get meal when we started to receive alarm. It was a small job in the red hook projects. we had a more runs that night,and also responded to another fire,typical winter night. We came back to our firehouse early in morning. JOHN had the upcoming 3x6 house watch I said I take it for him so he went and changed into a set of new uniforms. He asked me if I wanted a break as he was studying hard for LT. I said I was ok and then said to him,hey john new uniform we probably get another job tonite. Words I regret till this day. Approximately 25 MINUTES later the alarm goes off,dispatcher on voice alarm,and three rings on phone,saying sounds like a job numerous calls for help children and mom trapped on 3 floor. We geared up and out door CHARLIE driving as usual safe steady and FAST. We heard the 10-75 we turned Lorraine st. Onto van brunt and saw the flames already out three 2 floor windows about ten city blocks away John was facing forward in the rig he said to me JOHN be careful inside this one. Charlie positioned the truck to cover the front and sides of the building. Our officer and tommy and I tried get to 3 floor where the kids were trapped thru the interior hall but the fire was in the hall already we were going go up fire escape but heard the engine started water on the fire. John was on the fire escape above us doing his job correctly and professionally trying to get to the kids and mom. We got to third floor after the engine pushing the fire back started to work on the door when there was an explosion of fire in the hall and the room. Our engine gallant men was knocked down stairs I rolled to back of hallway and squad started helping on line. We did our search and found John in a corner. WE ALL TRIED OUR BEST The mom and kids were saved but sadly JOHNNY was in a room with illegal partition and when the fire came up from second floor windows by auto exposure and Johnny opened up door of partition he was hit by fire of 2300 degrees estimated. This story to some may be considered long and winded but to us it’s like yesterday even after 32years JOHNS MOTTO WAS DO THE RIGHT THING JOHN DID THE RIGHT THING THIS NIGHT HE UNSELFISHLY SACRIFICED HIS LIFE, FOR FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS. HIS OATH UPHELD,This man my friend our brother should be remembered always as a HERO AMONGST HEROES OF THE FDNY. JOHN JD. YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN EVER BY US. REST IN PEACE AND SERENITY IN OUR LORDS KINGDOM AND BLESSINGS TO YOUR DEAR FAMILY MEMBERS DEAR BROTHER....UNQUOTE.

NY Times

Firefighter Dies As He Searches For Fire Victims​

By Sarah Lyall
February 4, 1989

A ten-year Fire Department veteran searching a blazing Brooklyn apartment building yesterday became the first New York City firefighter killed in more than a year, the Fire Department said.

Firefighter John P. Devaney was looking for people trapped in the four-story building at 217 Van Brunt Street in the Red Hook section, when the room he was in suddenly ''flashed over,'' everything combustible in it bursting into flames, Fire Commissioner Joseph F. Bruno said.

Mr. Devaney, 36 years old, was found unconscious by other firefighters, his body covered with third-degree burns, Commissioner Bruno said. Efforts to revive him failed, and he was pronounced dead at Long Island College Hospital at 5:15 A.M. Residents Are Evacuated

All the residents of the building were evacuated, the Fire Department said, and four were treated for smoke inhalation and released. Another firefighter, Eneth Moore, 37, was listed in good condition at Long Island College Hospital, where he was being treated for smoke inhalation and abdominal pains.

Fire Department officials said the blaze began just before 4:00 A.M. on the building's second floor when an electrical circuit overloaded. About 80 firefighters from 20 units eventually arrived after word was received that residents were trapped inside.

As fellow members of Ladder Company 131 rescued four people from the fourth floor of the 100-year-old building, Firefighter Devaney climbed the fire escape and began to search for victims on the lower floors, Chief Bruno said. It was then that the small bedroom he was in exploded.

Mr. Devaney is the first New York City firefighter to die putting out a fire since December, 1987, when Firefighter John Toomey died in a blaze in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn.

Mr. Devaney lived with his wife, Janice, in Breezy Point, Queens. His brother, Patrick, is a firefighter with Engine Company 323 in Brooklyn.

E 279  fh 1980s.jpg