FDNY SIGNAL 10-30

I recall back in the late 70's early 80's I guess a signal 10-30 . We had plenty of those in my old neighborhood of East Harlem 53/43 and from what I remember 2 & 2 would be assigned for what felt like an extended operation. Clutter , abandoned buildings too unstable to enter. Can anyone fill me in this response?  Thanks 

A 10-30 code now is only used internally for Dispatchers now.  The field units do not use it.
I believe now it is just used to fill out the box with a 4th engine and Squad and Rescue if the quantity and quality of calls suggest it will be a 10-75

Any dispatchers  please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank You NFD that's how I remember it. We had tenements in our area that were just shells. One building an Old School still there east 105th st Box 1302 , was constantly burning. I still remember the War years looking out my windows on the 12th floor and seeing smoke column's daily.

Thanks To you all for the reply and info.   

My recollection is a 3 & 2 + Bn response on pull boxes. The Bn would, depending on his size-up, would not use the 3rd engine, thereby not transmitting the 10-75 & not having the Deputy & Rescue & Squad respond. Especially when things were popping. ERS changed things.
  Obviously, the dispatcher could redirect or assign extra units based on their info.

10 codes were established in 1969. 10-30 was "Working Fire" order for a Full First Alarm Assignment which was 3+2+BC, there was no 10-75.

Some years later 10-75 was established calling for the 3+2+BC response. At that time response to the 10-30 was reduced to 2+2+BC.

Attachments

• TB 85 Radio Code Signals 1969 resize.jpg
    TB 85 Radio Code Signals 1969 resize.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 244
I recall back in the late 70's early 80's I guess a signal 10-30 . We had plenty of those in my old neighborhood of East Harlem 53/43 and from what I remember 2 & 2 would be assigned for what felt like an extended operation. Clutter , abandoned buildings too unstable to enter. Can anyone fill me in this response? Thanks

I was an FDNY "scanner buff" in the mid through late 1970's. My impression was Company Officers (LT's & CAPT's) would transmit a 10-30 upon arrival at a job and leave it to the responding BC to transmit a 10-75. I don't know if this was an unwritten rule or protocol, it just seemed to be the way it was when I listened. When a Company Officer did transmit a 10-75 then the fire was really ripping and possibly with life safety issues.

I was under the impression that the 10-30, which brought 2 engines, 2 ladders, and a B.C. to a box, came about around the time the adaptive response was initiated.
Adaptive response had a 2 & 1 response with a B.C., so the 10-30 brought an additional truck.
Correct me if I haven't got it right.

Ken, you are right, I meant to include that in my remarks above. During adaptive response hours pull boxes with a history of mfa's would get a 2&1 and BC response. 10-30 told the dispatchers the 2nd truck was needed. I recall jobs developing with the 1st arriving company transmitting a 10-30, and the BC transmitting a 10-75 and then an All Hands, Division Chiefs usually transmitted the greater alarms.

How many times, on a busy night, did we hear "....are there any available ladder companies in the ______ Division?...". Or a chief asking for additional companies only to be told by the dispatcher "...there are companies responding, but they are coming from a distance..."
There were lots of times when a Chief had to make do with what he had on scene.
How many times did a company in a busy area turn out on its first run shortly after 6 PM, pick up multiple runs on the air and not return to quarters for several hours?
Ah, the good old days