HIST POMPIER LADDER RESCUE

Last edited by a moderator:
when we were trained in the evolution of the scaling ladders.
you had to straddle the window sill and to raise it..it required upper body strength.
I find it very coincidental that the scaling ladders were removed from all rigs
when the FDNY physical exam was questioned and through the court system was revised.

Great point TEM217!  Working with the scaling ladder back then was beneficial in so many ways.  As you said, it required upper body strength.  But it also quieted any discomfort guys may have had with heights or operating off a ladder.  I'm sure you'll remember hooking onto the gooseneck of the ladder with your Atlas belt, arms spread, leaning back....with the training officer yelling "make like a bird!".  I did my proby school on Welfare Island and I can still vividly remember all the training tower windows full of guys hanging back off their respective scaling ladders.  They used to incorporate the evolution into the graduation ceremony for the families.  One of my favorite stories involved two very good friends of mine (yours too if i am correct)...Kevin M (RIP) and Danny B (RIP).  Over the years in Danny's bar, Danny would break Kevin's balls that he "rescued" him while dressed as a woman in their graduation from their November '73 class.  Kevin's stock answer was "Danny, that was the last rescue you ever made".  Always got laughs. Anyway, totally agree that it wasn't a coincidence removing the scaling ladders at the same time women entered proby school.  New world.  Stay healthy!

tem217 said:
when we were trained in the evolution of the scaling ladders.
you had to straddle the window sill and to raise it..it required upper body strength.
I find it very coincidental that the scaling ladders were removed from all rigs
when the FDNY physical exam was questioned and through the court system was revised.

Good catch; I never would have made the connection.