Hurricane windows

I am wondering if anyone has experience with hurricane windows during a fire incident. These types of windows have proven to be difficult to vent and/or force open, to the extent that I would consider an additional truck, much like when window bars are encountered. Any information would be appreciated.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Obviously they are more difficult than a standard window but they are nowhere near as difficult as window bars. They are basically laminated glass like you find in automotive windshields. A hard blow with a pick head axe will break the window and then you can remove the fragments. Depending on available resources available an additional companies wouldn't be a bad idea however!

mack

Administrator
I am wondering if anyone has experience with hurricane windows during a fire incident. These types of windows have proven to be difficult to vent and/or force open, to the extent that I would consider an additional truck, much like when window bars are encountered. Any information would be appreciated.
Excellent question.

No experience with hurricane windows, but a lot with HUD windows on vacant buildings. They were 3/4" plywood on the outside of the window and a 2x4 bolted to the plywood and spans the window opening on the inside. Best way was using partner saw to remove them. Next we had cement blocks cemented in the window which took a lot of pounding to get an opening, after breaking into one the rest came out a little easier. The other surprise was the double pane windows, you had to hit the corner to take them out, hit the center and tool bounced back.

We found that the most expedient way to open these widows up from the outside is with a carbide tipped chainsaw. Works like a champ

As anybody that has been in FDNY knows, any tools we ever got was like pulling teeth. When we pulled up to roll down gates we had to put a metal cutting blade on our partner saw to change from the wood blade. We responded to the Interboro parkway and didn't even have a Hurst tool, although second due. FDNY was the thriftiest operation in the City. We had to buy everything ourselves to change the decor in the firehouse. We made due with the little we received from FDNY. The only outfits that got all the tools was the Rescue Cos. But putting all that aside, I still loved the job. I left the firehouse in 92 and still no chain saw on our rig. We eventually got a Hurst Tool when Capt. Vigiano became the boss, because he was instrumental in getting it into FDNY and wouldn't look good if his Company didn't have one.