Jack Lerch Passing

I have heard that Honorary Chief Jack Lerch has passed away. May he rest in peace.

Very sorry to hear of his passing, he was a nice man and a friend to many in the FDNY. May he rest in peace.

HONORARY CHIEF OF DEPT. JACK LERCH ... KOREAN WAR VETERAN ... on 12-17-19 at 88 yrs of age ....A Gentleman & very knowledgeable FDNY Historian, Author & Photographer from way back ...Jack also has spent many hours facilitating the FDNY Mand Library at the Rock formatting & preserving our FDNY History as well as organizing more recent FD info & publications & always at the ready to research an answer to any FD related question ......He endowed part of the Thomas Kenny Medal & his Wife has previously endowed an FDNY Administrative Medal awarded yearly to a Uniformed or Civilian Member of Fleet Services known as the "HONORARY CHIEF OF DEPARTMENT
JACK LERCH MEDAL"
(ESTABLISHED 1989)
Presented to a uniformed or civilian member of the Bureau of Fleet Services for outstanding service. This medal was endowed by Mrs. Roberta Lerch to honor her husband, Honorary
Chief of Department Jack Lerch..........REST IN PEACE BROTHER ...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US ARMY AIRBORNE KOREAN WAR) & TO THE FDNY...AN HONOR & PLEASURE TO HAVE KNOWN YOU....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

I would frequently stop at the FDNY Mand Library where Jack Lerch would be there. He was extremely knowledgeable when it came to a question I might have had regarding the FDNY. If he didn't know the answer himself, he would direct me to where I can find it.

We will ALL miss him. Thank you for all you've done and may you rest in peace.

My condolences to his family and many friends, and to the members of the FDNY. He will NOT be forgotten by those of us who knew him. 

Jack was a very good friend who always had a smile.  His Bell Club Newsnotes were the best for FDNY information.  I was (and am) a fellow Bell Club Member for a long time and would look forward to seeing Jack.  RIP

How bout somebody posting a link to an official obituary please? I knew Jack lerch and he is everything that people here are saying that he is, simply wonderful.

Here's a quote and photo from Nick Ciampo's post on the Facebook NYC Fire Buffs page:

"Honorary Chief of Department Jack Lerch. Being honored at Fire Bell Club of NY. June 2019. With FDNYShop personal present . FDNY Honorary Chief of Department Jack Lerch. On the passing of a dear friend and historian of the FDNY, it?s only right we look back and pay tribute to Jack?s passion the FDNY and their apparatus. Jack started as a very young boy growing up and chasing Engine 71 in the Melrose section of the Bronx. He became an avid fan of Fire Apparatus while also becoming a great photographer of FDNY apparatus. Much of his collection can be seen in the book Wheels of the Bravest and Fire Apparatus Journal also throughout the pages of WNYF magazine over the years. Many of you have seen old photos of rigs operating at Jobs or sitting inside the shops or on the streets and not knowing that jack was the photographer. Jack had to take a break from buffing at an early age when he joined the US Army during the Korean War, he was a paratrooper with over 50 jumps and was proud to serve his country. When he did return from his deployment he couldn?t wait to get back to going to fires and seeing the FDNY fleet continue to grow and improve to meet the needs of the city. Jack?s love of Apparatus brought him to the repair shop very frequently, he was an avid historian of the older apparatus and he would dazzle newer employees with historic facts and photos of the older rigs. Many times when a question arose about model, make or year or even a specific rig specification, he had the answer immediately. Seeing Jack walk the floor and converse with the mechanics, supervisors and administrative staff was a weekly occurrence and one that will never be forgotten by many of us. Jack was more than an avid buff, he was part of the family of FDNY workers at the shop, no matter if you were uniformed or civilian personnel. Whenever Jack needed a favor or help with the Bell Club, the shops were often the first ones he called, the friendship and camaraderie that they shared ensured they?d help each other out no matter what the deed was. Since Jack was so instrumental in getting the Mand Library at the Rock up and running, he spent countless hours there setting the place up, organizing items and documenting the history of the FDNY. Whomever walked through those doors and needed information, could count on Jack and the staff. As we say farewell to a legendary man, Veteran, husband, Father and Fire Buff, let us give thanks for Jack for his enduring faith in preserving the history of FDNY and their fire apparatus."

Assume.jpg

I was never fortunate enough to meet Mr. Lerch, but I have known of and respected him and his work for many years.  He will truly be missed.

Honorary Chief of Department Jack Lerch

You may not realize it but anyone who participates in this forum has been touched by Jack Lerch.

Jack was known by most for his duties at the FDNY Mand Library on Randall?s Island.  He was responsible for relocating the archives of the late Clarance Meek, whose vast chronicles of the Department were in danger of being lost forever. Jack, along with Lt. (Ret.) Dan Maye (and a tip of the hat to Fred Melhahn), were the driving forces in establishing the Mand Library as the oracle of information for the FDNY. How many firefighters have labored in the Mand Library researching the history for their companies for their centennial anniversary? Safe to say that through their efforts, the history of the FDNY has been preserved.

Jack grew up on Girard Avenue near Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. As a youngster he would ride his bike to the local fire houses and take snapshots of the various rigs. He eventually travelled throughout the entire city, compiling a priceless photo collection of the Department?s rolling stock and a personal knowledge of the specifications of fire apparatus.

After a stint in The US Army as a paratrooper and as a Federal firefighter on Governors Island, Jack pursued a career in the insurance industry. His first love remained, however, the FDNY. He became a key member of the Fire Bell Club of New York, serving as Vice President, on the Board of Directors, and in the 1960s founded and wrote  the Bell Club Newsletter, which continues  to be published. (If you don?t subscribe to it you should as it is a great source of up-to-date information on the FDNY.) Jack also served for years helping WNYF in both editing and subscription.

Jack used his knowledge of fire apparatus to advise the FDNY on bid specifications. He would weekly travel to the FDNY Shops to advise and track the status of the Department?s fleet. His contributions during the post 911 turbulence were immeasurable.

Jack also served as president of the Honorary Fire Officers Association for several decades.  This organization reached out to members of other professions throughout New York City who wished to offer support to the FDNY. A major networking group, it is more importantly a source of emergency funding for equipment not appropriated in the City budget but needed to assist in department operations. Countless chiefs, officers, and firefighters are indebted to Jack and the HFOA for underwriting these items.

Jack performed all of these services on a volunteer basis. He never took a nickel from the city of New York or the FDNY.

I am sure that nearly all the many knowledgeable participants in this forum, be it in history, apparatus, firefighting operations or logistics, or any of the topics we discuss, have brushed up against Jack Lerch over the years. In so doing, Jack has touched us all. He was the hub in a wheel whose spokes reached all facets of the world?s greatest fire service. To my knowledge he is the only person to hold the title of Honorary Chief of Department, FDNY. I guess that says it all.

Through it all Jack was a generous and gracious gentleman, always willing to share his contacts,  knowledge, and wisdom.

The heart is heavy at his passing, a dear friend of long standing. Condolences to Roberta and the family.

I recd these arrangements today.... QUOTE....Here are the arrangements released by Jack's son, Paul:

My family and I would like to thank everyone for your condolences and support. Jack wishes were to be cremated and his ashes will be kept by my mom, so there will be no burial service at this time. However we will be having a viewing at the following funeral home on Saturday 12/21, (2-4pm) & (6-8pm), as well as Sunday 12/22, (2-4pm).

Sinatra Funeral Home
499 Yonkers Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10704
914-963-5263

In lieu of flowers, if any one wishes to make a donation to the Honorary Fire Offices Association (HFOA)
Please send to Stuart Forman at the following address;

56 Glenwood Road
Plainview, NY 11803

Thanks again on behalf of my family,  UNQUOTE.

Here's Jerry Fischer's post on Facebook about Jack's services:

"FUNERAL INFORMATION FOR JACK LERCH...

My family and I would like to thank everyone for your condolences and support. Jack wishes were to be cremated and his ashes will be kept by my mom, so there will be no burial service at this time. However we will be having a viewing at the following funeral home on Saturday 12/21, (2-4pm) & (6-8pm), as well as Sunday 12/22, (2-4pm).

Sinatra Funeral Home
499 Yonkers Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10704
914-963-5263

In lieu of flowers, if any one wishes to make a donation to the Honorary Fire Offices Association (HFOA)
Please send to Stuart Forman at the following address;

56 Glenwood Road
Plainview, NY 11803

Thanks again on behalf of my family,

Paul"