L 31 WAR YEARS LEGEND; THE HAZE

L 31 FIREMAN MEL HAZEL
50th ANNIVERSARY

Yesterday I was honored to speak to L 31 War Years Legend and personal good friend Brother Mel Hazel, known as “The Haze”. On October 31, 1970, fifty years ago Mel Hazel was appointed to L 31, and we were celebrating this special occasion, he and I. Mel told me that he asked an instructor at the training school at graduation why no other firefighters have been assigned to L 31 and the instructor told him, straight face, “you crazy, it’s too dangerous”.

Enjoy the following recollection of my time with The Haze;

Mel Hazel was a huge mentor to me during my early years as a young teenager riding with L 31 and Uncle Jack. I was introduced to Mel on one of my first visits in 1971. Mel had just completed his probation at Ladder 31 and had this exciting youthful persona. Mel is tall and lean and has a great sense of humor that is a must-have with thick skin on Intervale Avenue in order to exist, he is a religious and highly respected fireman. There were a few times when I would spend the day tour with Jack and Mel would be off duty, but he’d make a trip to the firehouse and hang with me. I really appreciated his friendship and always looked forward to seeing him when conditions worked out, the few times hanging with him made the trip to L 31 even more pleasantly memorable. During the winter months when I could not get off from school Mel and I exchanged letters.

In 1973 Mel made a “Roof Rope” rescue days after I visited him at L 31. The rope rescue was one of a kind and rare during the War Years. During that era, there wasn't a “Lifesaving Rope Evolution” as it is known today. During the War Years truck company members were issued a personal harness that they wore as an accessory around their waist, it was a new and innovative tool.

L 31 responded to a fire where a teenage victim was reported trapped in a window of an apartment house courtyard threatening to jump. Attempts were made to reach the victim through the apartment inside but were thwarted from the overwhelming fire. As a last resort, Mel ran up the stairs through the bulkhead door onto the roof where the “roof rope” was in the process of being deployed, he tied himself into the rope and initiated a single slide without hesitation over the parapet down to the victim. The victim, ready to jump, was instructed by Mel to embrace him tightly for the hairy ride down to the courtyard below.

Mel made the risky grab, and was recognized by receiving the Hugh Bonner Medal the following year. Later, his unique rescue would become a feature article in a WNYF magazine. Afterwards, Mel transferred to R 3 and later he was promoted to Fire Marshal. Mel and I lost touch from that point.

Miraculously and unbelievably, Mel and I reconnected on the morning of September 11, 2001 in a very bizarre way. I had just emerged from the Deutsche Bank on Liberty Street after the collapse of the first tower, WTC #2, onto Greenwich Street which is directly across from L 10’s quarters. At that moment I was trying to make my way toward the North tower where my wife worked and was inside. I proceeded out of the Bank, the hot gray ash blinding and choking me, all of a sudden a solitary figure materialized from the dust, I recognized Mel immediately. He spoke first when he noticed my red thirty-one helmet frontpiece.

“Hey 31, you ok?” were his first words when he became visible through the gray matter looking like a ghost in a suit, it was just the two of us surrounded by dust, fire and silence. I was able to cough out, “Mel, it’s me Dan”. He was bewildered for a second and then recognized who I was, and we embraced.

I told Mel I needed to find my wife, she was working and is somewhere in the North WTC #1.
We discussed the best way to get there circumventing the huge jagged mounds of debris from the South Tower that was obstructing our path. Overhead we heard the loud whooshes of fighter jets passing at close range, but we could not see above us due to the cloud of dust.

Suddenly a Police Officer appeared running around the corner of the Deutsche Bank building we were standing outside of, without slowing down and pointing to his portable radio he yelled to us that he was advised the North Tower was about to “come down any second”.

And no sooner did the officer say that in passing the tower began to crumble with an incredible sound of cement, glass and steel gnashing and grating overhead. Mel and I were too close to the tower to outrun the overhead deluge of showering steel about to rain down on us, we took immediate cover and positioned ourselves shoulder to shoulder in an upright fetal position against the Deutsche Bank outer wall. Mel covered his head with clasp hands as I held onto my helmet and prayed. We were barely covered by an overhang that ultimately became decimated. Together we awaited our fate being pelted by rocks, cement, hot wind embers and debris. We both thought the “big hit” was imminent. It was very close, but, by the grace of God we had survived but not out of the woods, yet. After the falling debris the air became as thick as wool socks and difficult to breath in, we had thoughts that after surviving the collapse we would now suffocate, there was no clean air to breathe, our lungs filled with powdery ruins.

Since September 11 Mel and I have never lost contact with each other. We continue to have wonderful phone conversations and try to connect for lunch when we can. Our friendship as Mel would often say “Was baptized by fire” and I couldn’t agree more; Amen to that Brother.

HAPPY 50th ANNIVERSARY!

Mel is a member of this network! Pictured; Dennis Smith, THE HAZE, JohnnyGage.
memeldennis.jpg

Last edited:
I had No Idea; 'Johnny'...God Bless. Wonderful to hear that you & 'The Haze' are still in touch. Great Photo.

I was working the tour in 82 the day Mel made the rescue with his new rope. At the 9AM roll-call that tour the members of 31 were issued their new personal life saving ropes. An hour or so later Mel rescued this girl, without a doubt saving her life. During the fire service years you would see the hand of God so many times, the man , the rope and Mel.

Last edited:
JohnnyG & Chief M - thanks for sharing your memories - really great story and even better that JG & Haze still stay in touch, so many years later

Thanks for sharing!! I remember reading about this rescue in WNYF many years ago. I'll have to try and find that magazine!
Maybe a good way to spend a weekend afternoon looking thru these magazines.
Always looked forward to receiving WNYF when I was a teenager! Would read from cover to cover!!

JohnnyG ever since your Uncle Jack brought you to LaCasa Grande as a teenager you’ve been a great friend and brother. To make a long story short. If God had not allowed me to run into you on 911 I would not be here today. Your Uncle Jack was a great firefighter and extra ordinary person and loved people. He was a good cook (Of course we’d never say that out loud) The War Years I was 22 when I arrived in 1970 and the average age was 33 yrs old. Responding to 8-9 thousands runs per year And 5-6 thousand workers. We had a saying 1 or 2 can job. To keep the Engine from stretching the line all the time at every job. You took a beating sometimes but that was better than having the engine break your chops. The guys had a great sense of humor and no one was immune. Charlie McCarthy who broke me in 31Truck and Jerry Albert were the Roast Masters who missed no imperfections and had memories like elephants. We laughed hard and worked hard. To be continued....

Welcome to the Nuthouse, Mel! We've heard all about you from Dan, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is proud to have you on board this site. With my 4 months of volunteer experience prior to entering the USAF, I feel honored to be in the company of the giants I've found here, and I think you are one of them. (y)

Thank you for the welcome Bro Raybrag and thank for your service. My thanks also to my brothers in LaCasa Grande who took me under their wings in the War Years and taught me personally what it means to be a FDNY Firefighter and the Brotherhood and Teamwork Involved. I’m honored to have worked with them. They are Truly Giants. Bless you Bro Raybrag and be Safe.

Thanks for the welcomes fdce54 & CFDMarshal. As a proby traditionally I was assigned to the Captain‘s Group in 31 Truck. Capt. McC. had me under his wing. He was patient, guiding, professional and protective of his proby. My first tour was a night tour and we were running all that time. False alarms, Rubbish in vacant and occupied buildings. About 1am we were responding to a 2nd alarm job in a row of taxpayers and I remember saying to myself as I was sitting in the jump seat that the rig was taking me to my death. We climbed the Aerial Ladder to the Roof and the guys began making more holes and trench cuts. When we pulled the holes fire came out. My proby eyes and mind thought how can we stand on fire and not fall in. Then I made a proby mistake. They told me stick my hook into the hole to push the ceiling in and I put the wrong end in and got tangled in the BX cables. I’m breathing in the smoke and heat and afraid I’m going to be in trouble if I lose the hook. Bill C of L31 sees my problem and tells me keep turning the hook and after what seems like an eternity to my relief it works and I’m free. This job went to a 4th Alarm and I watched and worked alongside these South Bronx Firefighters of the Greatest Fire Dept. In the World bust their behinds to Protect the Life and Property of our Great City. The dawn came up and we got relieved. As we were leaving one of the Enginemen from E82 said “hey proby you look like
Sugar. Honey Ice Tea..” I didn’t realize it then but that was a firehouse compliment..... To be continued

Hey Haze, if you can keep this up, you & JohnnyG will have to collaborate on a book! ".....To be continued", gotta love it Bro.