Lithium Ion Battery Fire inside Fire Truck

A sign of things to come. Lithium Ion battery fire inside of compartment of New Zealand Fire Engine. Reportedly caused by thermal runaway of electric battery operated vent fan while charging in compartment. Photo credit to unknown photographer.
D217560E-FDCA-446F-8715-05EBC145422F.jpeg

Bulldog

Bulldog
I've recently read about several other battery technologies that may be better in the long run than lithium-ion, from what I read those are not as dangerous either which will deftly be a good thing.

I've recently read about several other battery technologies that may be better in the long run than lithium-ion, from what I read those are not as dangerous either which will deftly be a good thing.
Yes. Newer technology like solid state batteries and ceramic electrolytes and well as sodium ion,etc showing much better safety potential as well as greater energy capacity…. But estimates are 5-8 years before these newer batteries infiltrate the market enough to start making a difference.

This incident occurred several years ago and did involve the lithium-ion battery in the fan. The battery had been damaged on a job and become compromised, resulting in water ingress into the cells. This caused a reaction in the battery, resulting in it heating up and igniting a fuel can & a saw stored in the same compartment, which is what caused the bulk of the fire damage. Thankfully they were a career station with a crew on hand who contained the fire to the single compartment.

A number of safety features have since been built into these battery designs to help prevent a critical failure from occurring, but at the end of the day it's still up to us to look after our equipment.

Across the fire service we use these batteries in everything, they're in our radios, flash lights, PASS devices, scene lights, power tools, e-draulics, saws, you name it. The lesson is to never become complacent and to always respect your equipment & check your gear.