LODD Anniversary: Cincinnati FAO Daryl Gordon 3/26/15

Today marks 8 years since Cincinnati Fire Apparatus Operator Daryl Gordon lost his life in a 4-Alarm building fire. Gordon was on Heavy Rescue 14 which was due on the second alarm. He opened a door likely thinking it was an apartment, but was actually an elevator shaft, fell down the shaft, became trapped, and lost his life. Daryl Gordon was 54 years old.

Here is an audio clip from the incident. The clip starts with the third alarm already dispatched. The mayday comes at the 6:55 mark. The clip ends with Gordon being freed from the shaft.

jbendick

Administrator
Back in the war years, while still in Eng. 75, we had a vacant on 180th street at Walton St. I can't remember if it went to a multiple. We had a few odd things happen, 1st we caught an individual trying to make off with a portable ladder from 33 Truck. He thought it would be easy as it was 3 in the morning and the street was empty. 2nd, We had a Mayday for a member of Eng. 42 who was working on Lad 56. While making a search he opened the elevator door and unfortunately the elevator wasn't there. He fell down the elevator shaft sustaining injuries and was able to return to the job 6 months later. 3rd, This was one of the few fires where the Dept. doctor and Dept. Ambulance were on the scene. On the same night, a member of Eng. 75 said he wasn't feeling well. He went over to the doctor to get checked out. He was having a heart attack. He was forced to retire.

Always think danger when a door opens to you..

1. it could be an interior cellar door of a private dwelling leading to basement.
2. a compactor room with chute door missing
3. in high rise remember it could be electrical room
4. it could be a closet with clutter that could fall and trap you

Always think before you open a door while making searches and advancing a line.

Interesting stuff. I would also add to doors that open towards you. that Elevator Doors either open towards you or are sliding doors. If you see either beware. I you have a fire in an old store look out for a Trap Door, sometimes, in the floor, behind the counter, that leads to the cellar or basement. I have seen this trap door left open and a firefighter fell into it. Luckly, he landed on the stairway and cough himself as he was falling.
He could have fallen into the burning basement. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.