NEW ROCKAWAY FIREHOUSE FOR E268/L137

A new FH would be good but while a drive thru might seem efficient i do not see the need for it as it double's the amount of doors = initial cost...routine maintenance....& eventual replacement costs....plus the area behind a Rig for a 2nd piece would be negated or it would have to be moved each run...also mastering backing a Rig into a FH keeps skills sharp when reverse maneuvers may be called for at a Fire or emergency scene......as far as what the Community Board says...well they have too much to say sometime as it is......plenty of other issues in the area for them to deal with rather than how we get in or out of the FH.

I just never understand communities objecting to a new fire station.
How much actual traffic problems does this cause. This is crazy.
I live in a town that has a small paid Fire Dept. Currently 9 Fire Stations.
One of the oldest Fire stations is falling apart. The appreatus floor is slowly
falling. The town has a location picked for new station , money is there to build
The station,everything approved. Now the community is complaing because
They are concerned about the noise at night. Instead of be excited that they will
not have to wait long for a response to there house if needed they have now stopped the
Start of construction. I do believe it will be built at the location in question. Just makes
me think what is wrong with people today. But they will surely complain if there first responders
Are late.

68jk09 said:
A new FH would be good but while a drive thru might seem efficient i do not see the need for it as it double's the amount of doors = initial cost...routine maintenance....& eventual replacement costs....plus the area behind a Rig for a 2nd piece would be negated or it would have to be moved each run...also mastering backing a Rig into a FH keeps skills sharp when reverse maneuvers may be called for at a Fire or emergency scene......as far as what the Community Board says...well they have too much to say sometime as it is......plenty of other issues in the area for them to deal with rather than how we get in or out of the FH.

Here in Newport News, the majority of firehouses, and ALL built in the last 40 years, are drive-thru, with at least double length bays.  In practice, the apparatus ALWAYS faces out with nothing in front of it.  As an example, at Station 10 an engine, ladder and rescue face out from the front of the building, while rescue's 2nd piece, an EMS ambulance (fire & EMS are fully integrated) and the battalion chief's buggy face out from the rear of the building. So no one is ever blocked in, and everybody ALWAYS backs in to "keep their skills sharp".

68jk09 said:
A new FH would be good but while a drive thru might seem efficient I do not see the need for it as it double's the amount of doors = initial cost...routine maintenance....& eventual replacement costs....plus the area behind a Rig for a 2nd piece would be negated or it would have to be moved each run...also mastering backing a Rig into a FH keeps skills sharp when reverse maneuvers may be called for at a Fire or emergency scene......as far as what the Community Board says...well they have too much to say sometime as it is......plenty of other issues in the area for them to deal with rather than how we get in or out of the FH.

I see where you're coming from, but they could still back in with double doors. It would also have faster response times because the 2nd Piece can leave at the same time as the other rigs.

68jk09 said:

EVERYONE Loves Fire Engines (& o.k.; I suppose Trucks as well...  ;) ), in the neighborhood, but Almost No One wants a FH Nearby.  Go Figure !  ???

raybrag said:
68jk09 said:
Well in the case as you state i could see several Rigs turning out simultaneously (on different streets) it would be good in a multiple Unit FH that went on different assignments or all together but i doubt in the case of 268/137 that there normally  would be more than an E & T turning out so the conventional door would be sufficient....one other point is that here in parts of NYC keeping the Fire Zone IFO Qtrs clear is a constant problem now w/front & rear doors there would be two Fire Zones to keep clear.....either way the City will build what they want w/little input from the field.

Here in Newport News, the majority of firehouses, and ALL built in the last 40 years, are drive-thru, with at least double length bays.  In practice, the apparatus ALWAYS faces out with nothing in front of it.  As an example, at Station 10 an engine, ladder and rescue face out from the front of the building, while rescue's 2nd piece, an EMS ambulance (fire & EMS are fully integrated) and the battalion chief's buggy face out from the rear of the building. So no one is ever blocked in, and everybody ALWAYS backs in to "keep their skills sharp".

Maxima2012 said:
I just never understand communities objecting to a new fire station.
How much actual traffic problems does this cause. This is crazy.
I live in a town that has a small paid Fire Dept. Currently 9 Fire Stations.
One of the oldest Fire stations is falling apart. The appreatus floor is slowly
falling. The town has a location picked for new station , money is there to build
The station,everything approved. Now the community is complaing because
They are concerned about the noise at night. Instead of be excited that they will
not have to wait long for a response to there house if needed they have now stopped the
Start of construction. I do believe it will be built at the location in question. Just makes
me think what is wrong with people today. But they will surely complain if there first responders
Are late.
What's wrong with people today is that's it's the "Me" society. They complain and whine about everything unless it's exactly what they want and when they want it. For instance, xxx street is a pothole riddled roadway. Vehicles have to traverse it at 3 mph. Society complains abot how long it takes to drive it, how much damage is done to the vehicles and so on. The city, county, state or whoever shuts it down for a month or so to completely rip it up, grade it out, put in new drainage, new roadbed, widen it, new curbs and sidewalks, etc. What do you hear from these people is that "the detour takes me out of the way and adds 10 minutes to my commute and I'm stuck in traffic there" and so on. No matter what you do they will complain. Just makes me want to get away from them even more.

In New Haven CT there are " quality of life " complaints about the loudness of sirens.
One article states people are moving out of the downtown area because of the noise.
No kidding!
https://seeclickfix.com/issues/3146203-volume-of-sirens