Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station's fire department filed falsified firefighting and safety training records

While I wouldn’t say it is widespread, it is suspect that several agencies around the country do pad/ or cook the books when it comes to record keeping for FAA ARFF training and ISO rating records. Several have been discovered. Perhaps the most notable of these was the Port Authority of NY/NJ - in which the FAA implemented an action plan involving a complete overhaul and restructuring on the PAPD ARFF unit.

When I was a volly chief for a short time, a member that wanted to transfer into my company gave me a copy of all his certificates, man, was he a super student!. Except there was something funny about them, namely a typewriter font instead of calligraphy that was used by this college, and I called the college to verify. I was going to ask him about the discrepancy, but he beat me to it. He was being investigated by the Sheriffs department for employment and realized the false documentation would bite him in the arse, he pleaded for them back and I never saw him again.

mack

Administrator
When I was a volly chief for a short time, a member that wanted to transfer into my company gave me a copy of all his certificates, man, was he a super student!. Except there was something funny about them, namely a typewriter font instead of calligraphy that was used by this college, and I called the college to verify. I was going to ask him about the discrepancy, but he beat me to it. He was being investigated by the Sheriffs department for employment and realized the false documentation would bite him in the arse, he pleaded for them back and I never saw him again.
Unfortunately, there are too many occurrences of false and inaccurate training attendance records and training certificates in organizations,
While I wouldn’t say it is widespread, it is suspect that several agencies around the country do pad/ or cook the books when it comes to record keeping for FAA ARFF training and ISO rating records. Several have been discovered. Perhaps the most notable of these was the Port Authority of NY/NJ - in which the FAA implemented an action plan involving a complete overhaul and restructuring on the PAPD ARFF unit.
I think inaccurate training records are a widespread problem in many organizations - government and private sector. We have all experienced and attended training, both mandatory or voluntary, which is tedious, poorly conducted, boring and maybe not job related. Organizations and businesses also have training requirements that are difficult or expensive to conduct. Usually, inaccurate, sloppy, incomplete or falsified training records go by unnoticed and may not be important or harmful. But unfortunately, they can result in failure to learn critical skills or knowledge - and create a culture of dishonesty and fraud. False records are always going to be false and harmful. Poor training and poor training records are leadership failures.

By the way, this Niagara Federal Reserve Fire Department is very small ( https://nycfire.net/forums/threads/fire-departments-in-ny-state.74389/page-2 ).