NYS Fire ?

So last night on TV news coverage of the Buffalo Blizzard recovery I saw Military spec all terrain trucks painted white with a red band and decals “ NYS Fire”. Later it mentioned that many people were rescued by NYS Fire. Looking for a few members who can describe what NYS Fire is? Resources? Where are resources kept? Who staffs these rigs? When and how are they activated etc. Thank you in advance. Stay safe

mack

Administrator
NYS fire is part of office of fire prevention and control, part of state Homeland Security. They sanction all training and provide multiple services and coordination across the state. They can be activated by State and local officials whenever required.
see https://www.dhses.ny.gov/office-fire-prevention-and-control
Thank you for your quick and very informative response. It helped answer most of my questions. Stay safe. Happy New Year

Bulldog

Bulldog
As far as I know NYS fire not have any equipment of their own other than what is it the state fire Academy. They haven't structured statewide that teach a wide range of courses to both volunteers and paid firefighters. I'm wondering if that equipment is actually from the National Guard that was commandeered by NYS fire for use during the blizzard.

As far as I know NYS fire not have any equipment of their own other than what is it the state fire Academy. They haven't structured statewide that teach a wide range of courses to both volunteers and paid firefighters. I'm wondering if that equipment is actually from the National Guard that was commandeered by NYS fire for use during the blizzard.

The vast majority of NYS Fire's vehicles are in the field and not at the academy. They seem to have at least three LMTVs, but I didn't look at all of their special units so there may be more.

Last edited:

The vast majority of NYS Fire's vehicles are in the field and not at the academy. They seem to have at least three LMTVs, but I didn't look at all of their special units so there may be more.
Lebby, thank you so much for the very detailed info and the link you posted. I just reviewed the photos of a majority of the fleet NYS Fire has and was quite surprised at the large cache of diverse equipment that the have in their inventory. Very enlightening. Thanks - I learned a lot today. Stay well brother and happy new year