Oceanic VFD S.I. (Ex-FDNY rig)

I have a problem with that rig so closely resembling FDNY rigs.  So....they put a "V" in front of FDNY.  Wrong.  The stripes and lettering should have all come off. 

Bulldog

Bulldog
JohnnyBopp said:
I have a problem with that rig so closely resembling FDNY rigs.  So....they put a "V" in front of FDNY.  Wrong.  The stripes and lettering should have all come off.
I also found that very strange but it seems that FDNY must be okay with it since they sold the rig with all the markings intact!  I didn't think they ever disposed of a piece of equipment without completely removing any markings that would be considered FDNY.  I wonder if this is a special case because Oceanic actually responds with them?

mack

Administrator
"VFDNY" does not exist.  Should be "OVFD" or "Oceanic Volunteer Fire Company" or "Oceanic Volunteer H & L 1"

Funny, of the two Staten Island vollie companies, I always understood that Richmond Engine in Richmondtown was the politically-connected gang; and that Oceanic in Travis was the black sheep.

I remember not too long ago seeing pictures of volleys at a brush fire in SI operating with the City and they had identical turnouts with the exception of a "V" in front of the "FDNY" on the back. Don't know if this was them but deff remember seeing it, threw me off at first

more rumors and misinformation here than I know what to do with, sheesh!

OK, Oceanic and Richmond both got 1993/1994 seagraves several years ago,
Oceanic's had issues with the pumps among other things and was scrapped, and replaced with a 1997 (ex-E040)
Richmonds was used as a spare for a while until they determined they did not have the need to keep it, and sold it to Metropolitan Fire Assoc. on SI (A boy scout explorer program)

The ex-Squad 800 was decommissioned by DCAS and sold to West Hamilton Beach in queens... they were in the process of getting it refurbished (paint, lights, mechanical etc. to replace what was stripped by the city) when it was flooded out and totaled during superstorm Sandy.....

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery....Some local companies where I live here in PA even have a patch similiar to FDNY......Truth be told, if my house is on fire, and I'm trapped, I don't care if they bring a clown car as long as they have the tools and training to save my butt....