Radio Comm

A few questions regarding radio communications-
1- On borough frequencies, why isn't the mixer always left on?
2- What exactly does the battalion repeater system accomplish, how is it different then the kutta system, is it related to a post radio, and do divisions have them as well?
3- What is an 800mhz radio that marine and comm units have?

BCR

A mixer off message, the mixer is turned off for command or field command to transmit a message. Usually that message is something sensitive like a firefighter injury or fatality. By turning the mixer off it limits how many people can hear the message. When the message is complete the mixer is turned back on.

A battalion repeater is basically a mobile radio repeater. The repeater amplifies and extends the range of the radios in the area of the repeater. The repeaters are necessary in incidents such as  high rise and underground incidents where the radio reception and transmitting ability is severely limited. The post radio is the radio that is built into the command board I believe

The 800mhz radios are basically just a differnt radio that operates on frequencies in the 800 MHz range.

Hopefully someone can provide more info for you

BCR said:
A mixer off message, the mixer is turned off for command or field command to transmit a message. Usually that message is something sensitive like a firefighter injury or fatality. By turning the mixer off it limits how many people can hear the message. When the message is complete the mixer is turned back on.

A battalion repeater is basically a mobile radio repeater. The repeater amplifies and extends the range of the radios in the area of the repeater. The repeaters are necessary in incidents such as  high rise and underground incidents where the radio reception and transmitting ability is severely limited. The post radio is the radio that is built into the command board I believe

The 800mhz radios are basically just a differnt radio that operates on frequencies in the 800 MHz range.

Hopefully someone can provide more info for you
Thanks for the info. Sorry I wasn?t clear about the mixer question- what I meant was how come the mixer needs to be turned on every time a unit calls the bourough? Why not just constantly have it on and not shut it off after a message is complete?

The battalion repeater is only in select battalions in hi rise areas. Used by chief for command channel. It doesn?t increase wattage of all radios. It is what was used before post radio.
In regards to mixer, it is usually left on, unless unit asks to turn off. Sometimes accidentally off.

The 800 Megahertz Radio (if i remember correctly) allows a Member to talk directly to another Member with an 800 Megahertz  without relaying the messages back & forth thru the Dispatcher .