Relief companies

When companies are brought in as relief at a multiple alarm job, do they just take over the rig of the company that is operating and the company that was operating take the relief companies rig? Like are ladders taken down and hose disconnected and repacked so that the new company rig can take the place? Or are the fire due / tied up companies not relieved?

Curious because on my department we just switch rigs until we can switch back. I was at a 3-alarm the other day and almost every company had to go change out for their actual rig after the fire

It really depends, usually if they special call a tower ladder because a tower ladder is operating they will take the special call crew and put them inside the bucket if they have to operate, if it’s prolonged and under control and then requested relief they may move the truck and switch them. All depends on how long they are going to be there. But if the first due engine has a line stretched into the building and it’s there line they are usually not leaving adless they pack that line up.

RCL

Another thought is what is the relief for? Is it for a omd, or single family, and washing down and final overhaul or a large commercial with hydraulic overhaul. In some cases the first alarm may hang out while relief companies use their rigs,for washdown etc, or thr first may take up with their rig and get replaced by relief companies. I think it's more situation dependant then anything else.

Sometimes a relief company is called to maintain an FDNY presence until a Fire Marshal arrives.
If there is a lapse in FD presence, the Marshals would need to get a search warrant to enter the premises.